Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Demologos is proceeding at about the rate that it took to build the original ship, but I'm getting close. Only the guns and smoke remain. Speaking of smoke, I'd appreciate any insights from my fellow modelers on how to make convincing smoke. Since she would have burned coal, with no forced draft, it would have been a lazy black smoke coming out of the stacks.

Name:  Demologos 9.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  Demologos 10.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  118.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can see my efforts at smoke from the twin stacks of the Ironclad SS Wolfenbuttle here Dobbs,

Name:  IMG_1694.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  125.7 KB

and also smoke issuing from a sinking ship here.

Name:  IMG_6550_edited-1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  179.2 KB

In both cases I used cushion filling teased out and painted with diluted black and grey acrylic paint. Often very early coal burners even had some sparks and flame issuing from the stacks when first fired up, but that is further than I would go.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    You can see my efforts at smoke from the twin stacks of the Ironclad SS Wolfenbuttle here Dobbs,

Name:  IMG_1694.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  125.7 KB

and also smoke issuing from a sinking ship here.

Name:  IMG_6550_edited-1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  179.2 KB

In both cases I used cushion filling teased out and painted with diluted black and grey acrylic paint. Often very early coal burners even had some sparks and flame issuing from the stacks when first fired up, but that is further than I would go.
    I love pre-dreadnaughts! Where do the miniatures come from? Are the main turrets fixed, or can they be moved? How long is that miniature?

Thanks for the missing bit of information, Rob. I was eyeing up cotton balls, but figured that acrylic paint would make them too dense. Plastic fluff is the perfect solution.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad to be of service to you for once Dobbs, after all you have given to the Anchorage in advice and help to myself. it seems a very little thing to do in return.
    The pre-dreadnaught is actually a scratch build from an old Dreadnaught hull I had. I cut down the bows to a more bluff point, and added an extra thickness to the waterline to build the ram at the front. All the ships boats, ventilators, secondary armament and masts were out of my odds and sods box. Upper works, plasticard, and the main turrets are turned aluminium. with two diameters of brass tube which fit inside each other for the gun barrels.
    The two masts and rigging lines actually unplug for storage.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The pre-dreadnaught is actually a scratch build from an old Dreadnaught hull I had. I cut down the bows to a more bluff point, and added an extra thickness to the waterline to build the ram at the front. All the ships boats, ventilators, secondary armament and masts were out of my odds and sods box. Upper works, plasticard, and the main turrets are turned aluminium. with two diameters of brass tube which fit inside each other for the gun barrels.
    Rob.
    It is an outstanding model! I would have a real weakness for pre-dreadnaughts if someone was selling kits, and there was a game like SoG for them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for your comment, and the Rep Dobbs.
    Rob.

Glad to be of service to you for once Dobbs, after all you have given to the Anchorage in advice and help to myself. it seems a very little thing to do in return.

Rob.
    Rob, you've done an exquisite modeling work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very kind of you to say Julián, but it pales into insignificance when compared with what Dobbs has achieved.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Very kind of you to say Julián, but it pales into insignificance when compared with what Dobbs has achieved.

Rob.
    I don't know, I really like your scratch built pre-dreadnaught. What's the name of the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Demologos is proceeding at about the rate that it took to build the original ship, but I'm getting close. Only the guns and smoke remain. Speaking of smoke, I'd appreciate any insights from my fellow modelers on how to make convincing smoke. Since she would have burned coal, with no forced draft, it would have been a lazy black smoke coming out of the stacks.

Name:  Demologos 9.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  Demologos 10.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  118.4 KB
    Hello Dobbs, it's a very beautiful boat. The finishes are very clean and a good modeling work.