Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default KR cases review Part 2

Here we are with part 2 of the KR cases Sails of Glory Range

To start off let me say that this review will take into account the way KR have devised the trays and also how I have stuffed as much of my collection as possible into the trays.
    At the end I will also add a link to part one so you can see all together if you wish

So part two will deal with the trays designed to hold the game components, from what I have and have seen there is no tray solely for the damage counters and for the ships and shore batteries counters to a large extent. Now I am pretty certain that most of us will have bags of some description for the damage chits so I don't think that is a problem to be honest. Also for the ship and shore battery counters etc, I have there packed into individual bags , so again not an issue for me at least. I shall ask KR next time we meet up if there is any intention to have a tray purely for counters, but to be honest here don't complain to KR as I did not push this element of the game when we were speaking about the trays. Also be aware that most of the pics show the cards sleeved, I sleeve all my cards so they come out a little thicker than unsleeved, so this needs to be taken into consideration also.

So onto the trays

There are three trays for the card and counter elements of the game

SG1 This holds the ship mats, plus ship bases and cards as well as ship boards and movement decks. This tray is a 1/3 depth of a KR case.

from KR site this holds 6 ships Boards, ships logs, ships cards, bases and tokens and the layout is below

OK this is ok but the move decks are too big and really you need another tray for these.
    However I stuffed as much as I could into the tray and came up with this

In here I have the following
    12 Ships mats, so you could easily get the starter set into this tray. To the right of the mats from top to bottom.
    Slot 1 3 ship bases each with a ship card, but you could easily have a fourth
    Slot 2 2 ship bases each with a ship card, but you could easily have a fourth

Bottom row from left to right

Slot 1 5xship logs, 3 pieces (SoL), Slot 2 and slot 3 ships counters 4 ships worth, slot 4 3xship logs, 4 piece these are my 1st Rates, Slot 5 5xship logs each 3 pieces (SoL) or 4 pieces (Frigates and Sloops)

NextTray is SG2, this tray is also a 1/3 KR case depth.
    Empty it looks like this

KR has designed to hold 12 sets of ships cards and ship boards and tokens, arranged as

So the intention is to put move cards on top of the ship bases.

Here is my set

Taking the order from the first pic. Left hand section Top and bottom slot, each holds 4 ship bases and ship card
    Center two slots each holds 4 ship bases and cards
    Right hand section Top slot 5 x ship boards (3 pieces), Center slot This will hold at a squeeze three sets of ships counters, Bottom slot 5 xship boards (3 pieces)

The last tray is deeper than the others taking up 2/3 of a case in depth.
    SG3 KR say this will hold 24 ships boards, ship cards and counters, placed thus

I stuffed in the following

So in here I have. Left hand section Top slot
    2x ship bases with ship card underneath 3 sets of ship move cards, 1 Frigate (37 cards) and 2 SoL (29 cards)
    Bottom slot 2x ship bases and ship cards 2xSloop movement decks (39 cards) and 1 SOL move deck (29 cards)
    All the cards are laid flat

Center section Top slot
    1x ship base and card, 4 sets of SoL move decks, placed on their sides

Bottom slot
    5x ship move decks, 4 being SoL & 3 deckers and 1 x large frigate move deck (33 cards)

Right Hand section Top Slot

5x SoL move decks laid flat

Center Section 3x ship boards each of three pieces

bottom section 5 x ship boards each of three sections

Of course this is just the way I have done things to make sure I can fit in my models.

To show the difference in depth here is SG2 & SG3 together

There is something to note here, to fit everything in I have had to mark my ships and bases so I know what fits with what. My Move decks already are marked with a sticker saying a move deck number and I keep a master list to show what goes with what.
    I marked the ship base, bottom of the ship , ship card and ship board, like so

This is something I would advise to keep every thing in place. Of course if you just have a starter set you may not need to do this.

So there we are, personally I like the system and it will allow me to keep every thing together, the counters I have in a separate plastic box anyway so it does not bother me there is not much space for ship counters.

I myself have split my fleets into separate box's

My British fleet fills 1 and 1/2 KR cases and carries 3 Three Deckers, 2 Sloops, 11 SoL and 9 Frigates with their move decks and ship boards, using up 1x SG1, 1 xSG2 1xSG3 1xSG4 and 3xSG5, THe French have the same so three cases hold a considerable amount

So still need at least another case to finish off my fleets.

Any questions feel free to ask and Ill try to answer.

Lastly if you do not sleeve your cards you may get more in the slots as the decks will be considerably smaller.

Link to part 1

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...-Review-Part-1
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 12-21-2015 at 08:49.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent review and a great set of photos illustrating same. Thank you!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Very useful information. I am now a lot more confidant that the heavy hints I have been passing out for possible Christmas Presents are the correct ones.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Part 2 as good as part 1. Thanks for your work on this.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent reviews, Chris!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Follow up on Chiris' report.
    I have bought a half size card case in which I have an SG2 and an SG3 tray. This takes all my cards and keeps them all in one place. This for a fleet of 9 British and 9 French ships from 100 gun First Rates through 74's and Frigates for both sides.