Phœnix, off Vada, near Leghorn,
September 2, 1801
Sir,
I Beg Leave to acquaint you, that while at Anchor off Piombino for the Purpose of preventing Supplies being sent by the Enemy from that Place to Port Longone, at Half-past Six A. M. His Majesty's Ship Minerve, which had joined and parted from me the Day before, was seen in the N.W. standing towards the Phœnix, firing Guns and with the Signal flying for an Enemy. I immediately made the Pomone Signal to chace that Way, she having joined me two Days before, and got the Phœnix under Sail, upon which the Minerve bore up, and made all Sail to the Northward, the Pomone and Phœnix following. About Nine O'Clock we saw Two Frigates to the Northward, steering towards Leghorn, apparently French, and between Ten and Eleven we observed that the nearest to us had run aground on the Shoal off Vada, and upon the Approach of the Squadron, and a Shot being sired towards her from the Minerve in passing, she struck her Colours without firing a Gun, and was taken Possession of by the Pomone. It was additional Pleasure when I found her to be His Majesty's late Ship Success, commanded by Monsieur Britel. The Minerve being the headmost Ship went on in Pursuit of the other, which was endeavouring to get to Leghorn but fortunately the Wind shifting to the Northward, enabled the Minerve to get well up with the Enemy before he could accomplish his Views; and after missing Stays, and attempting to wear, got on Shore under the Lantegnano Battery to the Southward of Leghom, where her Masts soon went by the Board, and the Ship totally lost, having struck her Colours without making any Resistance. She proves to have been La Bravoure French Frigate of 46 Guns, commanded by Monsieur Dordelin, carrying Twenty-eight Twelve-Pounders on her Main Deck, with Two Hundred and Eighty-three Men, the Captain and several of his Officer sbeing made Prisoners of the Minerve's Boats. Captain Cockburn informs me, that inconsequence of the Surf running high, Night coming on, and the Enemy on Shore firing upon the Ship and Boats, he was prevented making a greater Number of the Crew Prisoners; and would have burnt her, had it not been a Certainty that many of the Enemy must have perished in the Flames.

Captain Cockburn speaks in the handsomest Manner of Mr. Kelly his first Lieutenant, as well as of the Rest of his Officers and Ship's Company on this Occasion.

I feel much indebted to Captains Cockburn and Gower for their Zeal and Activity, as the taking and destroying these Two Ships completes the Demolition of the Squadron of French Frigates (in lese than a Month) which had been employed in the Blockade of Porto Ferrajo.

I beg also to mention, that by the Exertions of Lieutenant Thompson of the Phœnix, and the Men employed under him belonging to the different Ships the Success has been got off without receiving any material Injury.

The Anxiety shewn by all Ranks on board the Phœnix to get up with the Enemy can be better imagined than I can describe. The above Frigates left Leghorn Mole in the Evening of the 31st ult, with Orders from General Watrain to attack the Phœnix, Intelligence of which I had received about a week before.

I have the Honor to be, &c. &c. &c.
(Signed) L. W. HALSTED

Today's event is from the London Gazette 10 November 1801 to 14 November 1801: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/15426/pages/1355