Thread: On this day 28 August - the capturing of a ship

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 28 August - the capturing of a ship

Extract of a Letter from Captain Mowat, of His Majesty’s Ship Assistance, dated Halifax, September 14, 1796, to Mr. Nepean.

I Have to acquaint you, for the Information of my Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, that on the 38th of last Month, about Four Leagues East South East from Cape Henry, the Thilbe, who had been sent to look out in the East North East Quarter, a little after Five in the Morning made the Signal for Three strange Ships being in the East South East. The Bermuda, who had been in Chace of a Brig the Evening before in that Quarter, and who was Seven or Eight Miles nearer the strange Ships than any of the Squadron, the Thilbe excepted, repeated or made the Signal, that the Ships seen were Enemy's Ships; upon which the Admiral immediately made the Signal for a general Chace. The Squadron was then composed of the Flag-Ship, the Assistance, Thetis, Thilbe, Topaze, and Bermuda. So very light was the Breeze, and withal partial, that the Ships did not steer for some Time. The Topaze was the first that had the Breeze, the Thetis, being at some Distance from her, was the next, and the Flag-Ship soon after; the Assistance, being to Leeward and astern, did not obey her Helm before the Topaze was Eight or Nine Miles advanced, the Thetis and Resolution about Half that Distance. The Squadron continued in Pursuit, and about Half past Five in the Evening the Topaze brought the nearest Ship to Action, upon which she returned a Broadside and hauled down her Colours. The Bermuda being near, bore down to the Prize, and the Assistance's Signal was made to take Possession of her. The Flag-Ship and the Frigates, without a Moment's Loss of Time, continued in Chace of the other Two Frigates. The Admiral's verbal Message to me, by Captain Maxtoae, was to proceed to Halifax with the Prize. Upon my taking Possession of her, I sound her to be L'Elisabeth, mounting Thirty- six Guns, 24 Twelve-Pounders on her Main Deck, and 12 Nines on her Quarter Deck and Forecastle; a large Ship, said to be about a Thousand Tons.

The above text is from the London Gazette, 11 October to 15 October, 1796 - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/13941/pages/975

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

On 28 August 1867, Captain William Reynolds of the screw sloop-of-war Lackawanna raised the U.S. flag over Midway Islands and took formal possession of the islands for the United States. Note, Lackawanna is named for a river in Pennsylvania.
    Read more about USS Lackawanna:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/l1/lackawanna-i.htm --