Thread: On this day 25 August - The Ferrol Expedition (or Battle of Brión)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 25 August - The Ferrol Expedition (or Battle of Brión)

The Ferrol Expedition (or Battle of Brión) took place on 25 and 26 August 1800, and was an unsuccessful British attempt to capture Ferrol from Spain. Ferrol was a major Spanish naval base with a shipyard for shipbuilding and dry dock for repairs.

The primary object of the British expedition and fleet of 109 ships during the year 1800 was the conquest of Belle Île but the defences appeared too strong. The expedition therefore proceeded to the coast of Spain, where it arrived on 25 August.

After a heavy cannonade against a small Spanish fort of eight 24 pound cannon by the British ships of the line HMS Impetueux with 74 guns, HMS London with 96 guns, HMS Courageux, HMS Renown and HMS Captain, each with 74 guns, under the superintendence of Sir Edward Pellew, the British effected a landing at a small opening near Cape Prior. The army commander was Lieutenant-general Sir James Pulteney. The force landed consisted of seven British regiments, one of two battalions, and the rifle-corps totaling 8,000 troops and 16 field pieces.

The Spanish defenders of Ferrol were: Don Francisco Melgarejo, commander of the naval department; Juan Moreno, commander of the squadron stationed in the harbour; Don Francisco Xavier Negrété, captain-general of the province; and Field Marshal Count Donadio, who commanded the fortifications that protected the coast. The Spanish ship of the line were: Real Carlos and San Hermenegildo, each 112 guns; San Fernando, 96 guns; Argonauta, 80 guns; San Antonio and San Augustin, each 74 guns.

The British rifle-corps advanced up a ridge and was attacked by a Spanish detachment which it drove back with some loss. Early on the morning of the 26 August a considerable body of Spanish attacked the British on the heights of Brion and Balon but they were repulsed. British casualties were 16 killed and 68 wounded. The heights overlooked the town and harbour of Ferrol. That night, after observing the strength of the fortifications, the British troops and artillery were embarked back on their ships.

The embarkation of the troops and artillery was effected, and soon after this failure on the coast of Galicia, another expedition, equally unsuccessful was directed against the city of Cadiz. After the unsuccessful attempt to capture Ferrol, the British Prime Minister William Pitt said in the House of Commons that: If Great Britain had a naval station so easy to defend as Ferrol, due to its location, it would have been surrounded by a thick silver wall.

The above text was taken directly from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrol_Expedition_(1800)

Copy of a Letter from Rear-Admiral Sir John Borlase Warren, K. B. to Admiral the Earl of Saint Vincent, K. B. dated Renown, - Bay of Playa de Dominos, Augist 27, 1800.

MY LORD,

I Beg Leave to inform you that the Squadron and Convoy under my Command arrived off this Bay on the 25th Instant, without having fell in with any Thing excepting the St. Vincent Schooner, who had parted from Captain Curzon.

General Sir James Pulteney having desired that the Troops might be disembarked, I directed Sir Edward Pellew to superintend that Service, assisted by Captains Hood, Dalrymple, Fysse, and Stackpool, with Captains Guion, Searle, and Young, which was most ably performed on the fame Night in the Bay above-mentioned, after a Fort of Eight Twenty-four-Pounders had been silenced by the Fire of the Impetueux, Brilliant, Cynthia, and St. Vincent Gun-Boat; the whole Army were on Shore without the Loss of a Man, together with Sixteen Field-Pieces, attended by Seamen from the Men of War to carry Scaling Ladders, and to get the Guns up the Heights above Ferro.

On the Morning of the 26th the General informed me, by Letter, that from the Strength of the Country and Works, no further Operations could be carried on, and that it was his Intention to re-embark the Troops, which I ordered to take place, and the Captains of the Squadron to attend; and I have the Satisfaction to add that, by their indefatigable Exertion, the whole Army, Artillery, and Horses, were again taken "on board the Transports and Men of War before Day-break on the 27th.

I shall immediately proceed with the Squadron and Convoy, in pursuance of the latter Part of your Lordship's Orders.

I have the Honor to be, &c. &c. Sec,
    J. B. WARREN.
    From the London Gazette of 2 September to 6 September, 1800: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/15290/pages/1006

John Borlase Warren:

Name:  SirJohnBorlaseWarrenPU3335.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  16.8 KB

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

1843 - Steam frigate Missouri arrives at Gibralter completing first trans-Atlantic crossing by a U.S. steam-powered ship.