Thread: 24 August

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default 24 August

On 24 August 1814, during the War of 1812, the British invaded Maryland and Washington, D.C. and set fire to the Capitol, White House and other public buildings. The Washington Navy Yard and Ships were burned to prevent capture by the British. After the venture in Washington, the British fleet promptly moved up the Chesapeake to Baltimore.
    Read more about the Burning of Washington on the
    Navy Department Library’s Online Reading Room:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...washington.htm -- — 24 Aug 1814 : Burning of Washington D.C. by the British

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Not so much an invasion, more an aggravated visit :)

On the same subject I visited the Navy Memorial in Washington wherein one can see a US flag from the period, complete with battle scars. One of my colleagues asked what the significance was and so I explained. A US Marines major overheard and commented, "a memento of your last visit to the White House - a few round here were wondering if you guys could come back and do it again sometime soon :) "

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Thankfully a little storm whipped up, put the fires out.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    A US Marines major overheard and commented, "a memento of your last visit to the White House - a few round here were wondering if you guys could come back and do it again sometime soon :) "
    You shouldn't tempt us to respond.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    You shouldn't tempt us to respond. :wink:
    But we did -- twice (1917, and 1942). :)

Not to mention: If memory serves, the action at DC culminated in the defense of Fort McHenry.... (Also a shining example for the cross-eyed nitwits who think "if you capture the enemy's capitol, the war automagically ends". [epic eyeroll])

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

Not to mention: If memory serves, the action at DC culminated in the defense of Fort McHenry.... (Also a shining example for the cross-eyed nitwits who think "if you capture the enemy's capitol, the war automagically ends". [epic eyeroll])
    Late both times
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Who caused the more damage - the British burning the buildings or the Americans burning the Navy yard and ships?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Who caused the more damage - the British burning the buildings or the Americans burning the Navy yard and ships?
    Being the nice guys we are, we just wanted to save you the effort. With the bad weather and all.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

Washington and Baltimore were part of an extended series of raids in the Chesapeake Bay area (which the RN had largely controlled since late 1813). Others included Alexandria and the Patuxent River and the operations were mounted in no small part as retaliation for the destruction of York (now Toronto). There was no thought of permanent conquest or that the Washington raid would end the war - although I'm not surprised to hear that there are still "cross eyes nitwits" who think that. I was certainly unimpressed with the knowledge of the USPS guides at several 1812 locations who trotted out ideas like that, only to be mildly and politely rebuked by our US hosts.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

What I meant to communicate was that clearing out our current crop of political leaders would not be unwelcome, at least by me, assuming of course their replacements would not be, to borrow David's phrase, a group of cross-eyed nitwits. Unfortunately, coming from Illinois, I am not holding my breath to see a group of virtuous leaders being voted into office.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    What I meant to communicate was that clearing out our current crop of political leaders would not be unwelcome, at least by me, assuming of course their replacements would not be, to borrow David's phrase, a group of cross-eyed nitwits. Unfortunately, coming from Illinois, I am not holding my breath to see a group of virtuous leaders being voted into office.
    Whilst not wishing to invoke the "p" word I can only say I agree wholeheartedly

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    There was no thought of permanent conquest or that the Washington raid would end the war - although I'm not surprised to hear that there are still "cross eyes nitwits" who think that.
    I was referring specifically to people (of whom there are far too many on all sides) who think that -- see also "On To Richmond" from 1861-5; "On To Moscow" 1812; "On To Paris" 1914-8, and so on. (That the fall of a national capitol is usually followed by the end of a war is an example of "Correlation Does Not Equal Causation".)

As to the torching of DC itself: A marginally-competent commander could have prevented it -- unfortunately, Bladensburg was run by two politicians and a lawyer....