United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 21 August - the HMS Penguin and her prizes

Penguin, Clark Harbour,
    August 23, 1797
    Sir
    I Have the Honor to inform you, that on the 21st Instant, in Latitude 48 deg. 30 min. North, Longitude 8 deg. West, being on the Larboard Tack, with the Wind Easterly, blowing hard, at Half past Eight A. M. saw Two Sail a-head standing towards us, with every Appearance of being Cruizers. At Half past Nine, having weathered us about a Mile, they bore down, the headmost under English Colours, but very soon discovered themselves to be the Enemy, when we opened our Fire, which obliged them to haul up again on the Starboard Tack: I wore immediately, keeping under their Lee, with a constant Fire at both. At Three Quarters past Nine the sternmost struck, and hove-to, but the Sea running too high to take immediate Possession of her, and finding the other of much more Consequence, who was making every Endeavour to escape, I continued the Pursuit, when, after an Hour and Forty Minutes running Fire, having shot away her Main- Topmast, she struck, and at Nine took Possession of her. Found her to be L'Oifeau French Privateer, of 18 Guns, (pierced for 20) 16 Nine-Pounders and 2 long French Twelves, with 119 Men on Board. At Half past Meridian wore, and made Sail after the other, who by this Time was nearly out of Sight, endeavouring to get off. At Four brought her to, and took Possession, finding her to be the Express, of Dartmouth, Prize to L'Oifeau, formerly L'Appocrate French Privateer, of 12 Guns, taken a few Months ago.

L'Oifeau is quite new built, for a Corvette, launched in June last, and coppered: Her Length of Keel Seventy-three Feet, of Gun-Deck Eighty-seven Feet, and Breadth of Beam Twenty-five Feet: Her first Cruize from Nantz, out Thirty-four Days, and had taken Two other Vessels. She had been chased Five Times before by His Majesty's Frigates, but always maintained a decided Superiority of Sailing, spares the Penguin at least One-third of her Canvas; and we are much indebted to their Disorder, and a high Sea, for our Success. She had One Man killed, and Five wounded.
    I beg Leave to express the warmest Approbation of the Conduct of my First Lieutenant, Mr. George Neat Tremlett, with every Officer and Man in His Majesty's Sloop I have the Honor to command, for their Zeal and steady Exertion during the Chace, working the Guns Knee high in Water for upwards of an Hour and an Half, carrying a great Press of Sail, with a heavy Sea, making fair Breaches constantly over us.
    I have, &c.
    J. K. PULLING.

Today's event is from the London Gazette of 29 August to 2 September, 1797: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/14041/pages/836

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Excellent post that's fun to read Eric. A whole language unto itself in some ways.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

And I ensured the "s" were "s" given that many, at least to me, looked like "f". Reading these in the Gazette has been interesting. It is a different language, as you said. I am glad you enjoyed it too.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

On 21 August 1858, the U.S. Navy Brig USS Dolphin captured the slave Ship Echo with 300 Africans on board off the north coast of Cuba. She was taken to Charleston, South Carolina, and those saved from slavery were later sent back to Africa.
    Read more about USS Dolphin:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/d5/dolphin-iii.htm --
    #USNavy | #NavyHistoryNews

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

On 21 August 1883, the installation of the first electric lighting on board a U.S. Navy Ship was completed on board USS Trenton. Other than minor wiring problems, the initial trial during Trenton's service on the Asiatic Station was a success Note, while at anchor in Apia, Samoa, harbor, Trenton was wrecked by the Samoan hurricane in March 1889. Before abandoning ship, however, her crew assisted in the rescue of Vandalia's ship's company. Trenton was declared a total loss, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 April 1891.
    Read about the electric lighting system installation on USS Trenton:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq117-2.htm --
    #USNavy | #NavalHistoryNews

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the interesting action report, Eric. In old handwriting the letter 's' frequently did look like an 'f'. Also there were no standard spellings for words.