Thread: On this day 15 July - a ship-of-the-line vs. four frigates

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 15 July - a ship-of-the-line vs. four frigates

On the 15th of July 1798, the HMS Lion (64), under the command of Captain Manley Dixon, engaged four Spanish frigates approximately 100 miles southeast of Cartagena, a port city on the southern Spanish Mediterranean coast. At 9:00 a.m., the Lion spotted the Spanish squadron, and proceeded toward it while the Spaniards, under the command of Commodore Don Felix O'Neil, formed a line in response. One of the Spanish 34-gunners, the Santa Dorotea, under Captain Don Manuel Gerraro, began to fall behind due to a previously lost topmast. O’Neil ordered the other three ships to turn around and support the Santa Dorotea as the British ship-of-the-line targeted the lone Spanish frigate. At 11:15, the Pomona, the Proserpine, and the Santa Cazilda, sailing close to the Lion, opened fire; Dixon returned the gesture. As the British 64-gunner continued to close with the Santa Dorotea, the Spaniard fired its stern chasers, causing rigging damage to the Lion. The three Spanish frigates made a second pass, but being at a very long range, fired ineffectively, though not without receiving return fire from Dixon’s ship. Dixon was able to close with the Santa Dorotea and exchange broadsides. The more powerful British ship-of-the-line quickly damaged the Spanish frigate. O’Neill had the other three frigates make a third pass, at a further distance than previously, before leaving the Santa Dorotea to her own fate. Gerraro struck colors.

The Battle:

Name:  Lion_and_Dorotea.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  49.7 KB

For more on today’s event:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_15_July_1798

I would have thought that ships so out gunned shouldn't trade broadsides but should concentrate on wearing the larger ship down by taking runs across her stern and using their better sailing ability to avoid the guns of the SOL. I'm sure there was a similar action of 2 maybe 3 British frigates against a French SOL that was successful but cant for the life of me remember the details. I'm sure someone will!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    I would have thought that ships so out gunned shouldn't trade broadsides but should concentrate on wearing the larger ship down by taking runs across her stern and using their better sailing ability to avoid the guns of the SOL. I'm sure there was a similar action of 2 maybe 3 British frigates against a French SOL that was successful but cant for the life of me remember the details. I'm sure someone will!
    Indefatigable (44) and Amazon (36) vs Droits de l'Homme (74). characterised by truly awful weather

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_13_January_1797

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bonus, DdlH is a Temeraire, so all we need is the two frigate sculpts (ISTR that the HMS Amazon involved was a later design than the Amazon-class of Wave 1) and it's a nice little "pocket battle" scenario...

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

On 18 July 1779, in the largest prize value of the American Revolution, Commodore Abraham Whipple’s squadron consisting of Continental frigates Providence, Queen of France and sloop Ranger, captured 11 British prizes off the Newfoundland Banks sailing from Jamaica. The ships were Holderness, Dawes, George, Friendship, Blenheim, Thetis, Fort William, Neptune and three smaller vessels. The cargoes captured were worth over $1,000,000. Note: Commodore Whipple sailed on Providence. Captain J. P. Rathburne commanded the Queen of France, and commanding Ranger was Captain Simpson, who was John Paul Jones' replacement when he departed to command the frigate Bonhomme Richard.

Thanks David that was the action I was thinking of but forgot the shocking weather limiting the Droits' ability to fight due to lower gunports being closed.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Anav View Post
    Commodore Abraham Whipple’s squadron
    It's that man again. :)

(Yes, that's the same guy who had _Gaspee_ torched. The man got around.)