Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *What's on your workbench for May?

Default *What's on your workbench for May?

My wife gifted me two Warlord Games Black Seas fleet packs for my birthday last month, The US Fleet and the Third Rate pack. I started working on one of the three plastic frigates first. While overall the detail on the hulls is quite nice, I must say there are things about these Warlord models I really do not like. The spars are cast flush with the masts so they can't be cut awy without damaging the mast. They are all at 90° so every ship has only a following wind dead astern. The first ship I wanted to model was the US Chesapeake. The stern gallery for it is no where even close to the Chesapeake's stern. This is something that would have been so easy for Warlord Games to get right as there is plenty of easily available reference to the historical stern.
    Name:  20200425_141336.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  105.4 KB
    Name:  20200425_141415.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  222.8 KB
    The next thing I don't like are the clear acetate ratlines. You just can't get rid of the shine and glare on them. So I have been experimenting with two jigs for making the ratlines.
    Name:  20200505_185222.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  176.5 KB
    Name:  20200505_212123.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  105.6 KB
    Name:  20200506_203604.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  104.9 KB
    The set from the first jig I mounted on the lower masts and I'm using the second jig for making the ratlines for the upper mast. The second jig is actually faster even though it only produces one set at a time.
    Name:  20200505_221325.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  156.0 KB
    Name:  20200505_221340.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  149.4 KB
    Oh, and while at least one of the two named resin frigates in the pack came with boat davits, none of the plastic frigates did. All of the US frigates had quarter and stern davits so I created some.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-16-2020 at 23:04.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Vol.
    Thanks for this expose on the Warlord models. You have done a splendid job on those ratlines.
    I can see what you mean about the stern. About the only thing they got right are the number of windows.
    A shame because as you have shown it paints up vert well. Also having the name in what I take is raised letters although a feature makes it difficult to use as a generic model unless you are very adroit with a file or Dremel.
    Do all the models have the names added like the Chesapeake?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

It looks good Vol. I was a little disappointed with these ships. I am working with the Meridian ships (only with their hulls) in scale 1/700, the rest is scratchbuilt.

I follow your work.

Best regards Julián

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi Vol.
    Thanks for this expose on the Warlord models. You have done a splendid job on those ratlines.
    I can see what you mean about the stern. About the only thing they got right are the number of windows.
    A shame because as you have shown it paints up vert well. Also having the name in what I take is raised letters although a feature makes it difficult to use as a generic model unless you are very adroit with a file or Dremel.
    Do all the models have the names added like the Chesapeake?

Rob.
    I was able to squeeze in one set of ratlines mounted on the upper mast before bed last night and another started on the "loom".
    Name:  20200507_071630.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  134.1 KB

The sprues come with three different generic sterns and three different figurehead stems
    Name:  20200507_071834.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  131.3 KB

Since this is supposed to be the US Fleet, there is also a bag with three named metal sterns and four specific metal stems: Chesapeake, Constellation and Congress. They got the figurehead for Chesapeake right, a winged angel with left arm draped over exposed left breast. I haven't researched the other two ships enough yet to know if they are accurate or not. I am at a loss why there are four stems for three ships.
    Name:  20200507_072324.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  91.6 KB

Here are a couple of pics showing what I was talking about with the spars cast flush with the masts rather than in front of the mast
    Name:  20200507_071915.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  95.6 KB
    Name:  20200507_071933.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  99.9 KB

And the paper backed acetate ratlines
    Name:  20200507_072216.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  136.1 KB
    Name:  20200507_072242.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  135.6 KB

These are the two resin 44 gun frigates in the pack: the United States and the President. I have the Humphrey plans for both of these so we'll see how accurate they are when I get around to them. As I recall all of the Humphrey frigates were single flush gundecks yet one of these isn't.
    Name:  20200507_072503.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  141.9 KB

So overall I am enjoying the challenges to make a decent looking model with this first ship. As I go through it, ideas for modifying the next one come to mind and I should write them down because I'm old and might forget! And there are all of these extra stems and sterns ........
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-07-2020 at 09:14.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice job . It looks fantastic
    I like the work you are doing with the ratlines .
    Hope to see your squad finish soon . Regards

Thank you Ferrante, I will keep you updated

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hey! That's the stern for the 1853 SoW Constellation! The US navy scrapped the Humphrey's one that year and called it a refit. Rounded sterns was a solution to stern rakes and outside our time period.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

United States was said to have a block house on the quarter deck which made her the least impressive sailer of the 3 frigates. That's my guess on the step on the 44.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Hey! That's the stern for the 1853 SoW Constellation! The US navy scrapped the Humphrey's one that year and called it a refit. Rounded sterns was a solution to stern rakes and outside our time period.
    Oh thank you Dobbs, you saved me some research time. I wont be using that stern. But I will need to find some reference painting showing the original stern so I can approximate a replica from one of the generic plastic sterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    United States was said to have a block house on the quarter deck which made her the least impressive sailer of the 3 frigates. That's my guess on the step on the 44.
    And thanks again Dobbs, I'm sure you are right. Interestingly this one is the package the boat davit sprues were in and they don't fit the a quarters at all with that raised "blockhouse". But they do fit the flush deck President.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All good information for anyone else trying this line of ships.
    Thanks for that chaps.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Nice project, Vol.

Thanks Sven. I'm not getting a lot of time to work on it, maybe a half to one hour a night is all. But I will keep plugging away at it.

Next installment! I was able to break away and take a few pics of the finished ratlines and strung standard rigging i finished last night.
    Name:  20200508_114756.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  145.2 KB
    Name:  20200508_114832.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  106.3 KB
    Name:  20200508_114901.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  102.1 KB

The predrilled holes for the foremast and mainmast stays are just inside the aft end of the fore and main chains/channels, so the stays don't show behind the ratlines. I think I will be drilling new holes further aft on the next ships. Should probably have done on this one but I sort of want to do a stock version first to see the problems, then modify the next ones.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-08-2020 at 13:24.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hah! I've been very resistant to these new ships, but your pictures are weakening my resolve.

Vol, if you don't like the yards, why not trim them flush and make new yards from plastic rod?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking Dobbs. Just a shame to ruin the lower furled course on the two masts though. Maybe cut them off the spar and fill the gap with putty. Since I've had so much time in between shipyard sessions, I've been thinking a lot about how to improve these models. The nice hull detail is what's keeping me at it. I've even thought about just scratch building everything above the deck.
    Oh, and thanks for the rep Dobbs. You haven't even seen what it is going to look like yet! It might be hideous

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

At the risk of being labeled a heretic....I recently became interested in a set of skirmish rules for the black powder period called "Sharp Practice." Here's the latest from my workbench for that set of rules for the French and Indian War period:

Name:  Sharp Practice 5.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  213.0 KB

Wow! And they have a tank! Will the turret cannon be flint or percussion cap? Those must be some interesting rules indeed.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Wow! And they have a tank! Will the turret cannon be flint or percussion cap? Those must be some interesting rules indeed.
    HA HA HA !!! I think the turret cannon will be flint and the machine guns percussion ! What a pity Braddock couldn't have brought up a tank in his attack on Fort Duquesne... The tank is actually for my Bolt Action Brits...

Ah, how disappointing
    Still, a black powder war wagon would definitely spice things up on the table. Maybe some alternate history scenarios?

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Ah, how disappointing
    Still, a black powder war wagon would definitely spice things up on the table. Maybe some alternate history scenarios?
    There was an original Twilight Zone episode about a National Guard tank crew on maneuvers who hit some sort of time warp and found themselves at Custer's Last Stand...a black powder war wagon...hmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    There was an original Twilight Zone episode about a National Guard tank crew on maneuvers who hit some sort of time warp and found themselves at Custer's Last Stand...a black powder war wagon...hmmmmm...
    I remember that, great episode. I love time anomaly films like that. The Final Countdown is a favorite.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Even without any weaponry, just a high mobility armored fighting platform would still be a Game Changer in an otherwise un-mechanized environment. Something open-top like an SdKfz 251 where you pop up to shoot, then hide behind armor plate until you're ready to shoot again.

Heck, even just pickup-truck technicals and supply-haulers would be an advantage against an OPFOR relying on animal musclepower...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Here are the sails mounted
    Name:  20200510_222324.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  147.2 KB
    Name:  20200510_222335.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  139.2 KB
    Name:  20200510_222348.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  155.2 KB
    Name:  20200510_222359.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  151.0 KB

About the sails, another thing I don't like much. The weight of the card they are printed on is too heavy. They are difficult to shape properly. And I don't like all of the dark brown staining. A little staining is natural but this is over done. I will most likely scratch build the sails on the next ship. Next to do is the running rigging. Last will be mounting the anchors, then the boats to the quarter davits. I am not sure about whether to do a base or not yet.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice job . I like your rigging job and the paint .
    It looks nice I hope Ares will release something new this year or most of us going to this models .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Splendid looking job Vol.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just pondering how best to integrate my Moorish fortifications into the existing landscape with the maximum degree of variations available to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks promising, Rob.

Here are the sails mounted
    About the sails, another thing I don't like much. The weight of the card they are printed on is too heavy. They are difficult to shape properly. And I don't like all of the dark brown staining. A little staining is natural but this is over done. I will most likely scratch build the sails on the next ship. Next to do is the running rigging. Last will be mounting the anchors, then the boats to the quarter davits. I am not sure about whether to do a base or not yet.
    Nice result, Vol.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Just pondering how best to integrate my Moorish fortifications into the existing landscape with the maximum degree of variations available to me.
    It looks great at this phase . This is going to be a great project

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just sent in an order to Brigade Models for a few more parts and the Moorish buildings I need.
    Ten it will be Langtons for the ships.
    Rob.

Oooh that looks really nice! Can't wait to see the next Bligh Terrain Masterpiece!

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

This ship looks marvellous ! You managed to highlight so well the main sails are not hoisted. That's the detail I usually have the most difficulties with. I really like the colour of your topgallants too !! Nice job
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Starting to form the base shaping.

That's going to be pretty impressive!

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Base shaping is getting form. Very nice. i think this is going to be a huge scenary for great battles.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One of the things I wanted to get away from with this Port was not having it in a corner like the One with my ship yard.
    This will be able to be anywhere along the coast, so that it can be attacked and defended from any direction, and not just by frontal attack.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now just waiting for my delivery of ships and scenics from Brigade Miniatures, and Langtons.
    Then I can start the sculpting of the foam.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Langtons win the race two days from door to door for my four Moorish ships and a length of quayside.
    Now I just await my Brigade delivery and I will be in action.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-16-2020 at 02:40.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Omg ! Now I have GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome) .
    I need one of that Xebecs . They look amazing . They used a lot this kind of Xebecs , but some frigates too .
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acti..._November_1751

I am working in some Buildings . One shooted tower

Name:  A68D108D-6B9F-4190-9AD5-5502B0EA811C.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  160.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had been looking for something of this nature Ferrante. You must be a mind reader.
    Great to hear that larger ships were also employed by the Algerines. I was thinking Frigates.
    Now I have an excuse to use a 50 gun ex Spanish ship at least.
    Any more interesting snipets to post?
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Wonderful works all of you ! ! The details of the "soot" on the shot tower from the canon balls adds a great amount of realism !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Langtons win the race two days from door to door for my four Moorish ships and a length of keyside.
    Now I just await my Brigade delivery and I will be in action.

Rob.
    Keyside Rob? What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Omg ! Now I have GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome) .
    I need one of that Xebecs . They look amazing . They used a lot this kind of Xebecs , but some frigates too .
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acti..._November_1751

I am working in some Buildings . One shooted tower

Name:  A68D108D-6B9F-4190-9AD5-5502B0EA811C.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  160.3 KB
    Now that tower has seen some better days. Great job of depicting battle damage Ferrante!

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Rob at this moment it is difficult to find English language docs about fights against the Berbery coast . I am trying to find .
    We had lot of problems here in the coast , and lot of brigs , frigates , and ships of the line fights .
    I have found another fight between USA and Berbery pirates 50 km from my home with a frigate involved :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Cape_Gata

Thank you Romeo and Vol . I used black and grey to give the black powder look . I was thinking all my towers are like new and may be I needed some action.

I finally finished the frigate

Name:  20200515_202710.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  180.8 KB
    Name:  20200515_202753.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  145.3 KB
    Name:  20200515_202808.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  119.9 KB
    Name:  20200515_202821.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  151.9 KB
    Name:  20200515_202839.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  196.4 KB
    Name:  20200515_202901.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  171.4 KB
    This one shows the added aft and quarter boat davits
    Name:  20200515_202911.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  144.2 KB
    Name:  20200515_202923.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  181.4 KB
    The next pic is my scratch built 1/1200 Chesapeake with my new Chesapeake
    Name:  20200515_203338.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  178.7 KB
    Name:  20200515_203539.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  194.3 KB
    Name:  20200515_203607.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  203.3 KB
    In this one you can make out the winged angel figurehead
    Name:  20200515_203644.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  137.3 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-15-2020 at 23:56.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Ferrante.
    Firstly, I was very remiss not to mention your very fine tower yesterday. Both the ones I have are in pristine condition and I feel it is high time I had a ruin like yours.
    Secondly thanks for looking up that extra information. will add it to my growing inventory of useful actions upon which I can draw.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another magnificent model Vol, and the setting in which you have placed it is stunning.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Keyside Rob? What is that?
    Well for a start Vol it is a misspelling by me. It should be Quayside. It is a long structure, usually built of stone; where boats can be made fast in order to take on and off their cargo. ie. a Dockside.

Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Vol, your pictures are just breathtaking. Thank you for sharing them. The combination "soft" white / black is really great ; without mentioning your rigging work (nice thread colour too instead of the given black one). It makes the ships look much more realistic. So (just to discourage myself) how many hours did you spend to finish her ?

Well for a start Vol it is a misspelling by me. It should be Quayside. It is a long structure, usually built of stone; where boats can be made fast in order to take on and off their cargo. ie. a Dockside.

Rob.
    Got it, the spelling indeed through me off. Thanks for the clarification.