Thread: AAR - Feb 2015 Our Ships were British Oak and Hearts of Oak our Men by ShadowDragon

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What another spiffing tale of audacity and swash on the Spanish Main. At this rate you will soon have a fleet worthy of Henry Morgan Paul. It is interesting to note that the censor allows you to get away with Arse. I would have liked to see how the fight for the taking of the fort went though.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    What another spiffing tale of audacity and swash on the Spanish Main. At this rate you will soon have a fleet worthy of Henry Morgan Paul. It is interesting to note that the censor allows you to get away with Arse. I would have liked to see how the fight for the taking of the fort went though.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob, for the kind words, the rep and taking the time to read my schmaltzy tale. Yeah, reading ahead on the scenarios, I do need a Henry Morgan fleet. Gabriel and Anamaria will need to join up with the RN (or more likely the other way around) for the scenarios with the larger battles.

Censor must be American so I guess you can get with such British-y type words. I didn't know if it would or not. It seem apropos - sort of, but it seems like a bit of cockney is slipping into Gabriel's language. That can happen if there's a lot of association with those ex-convicts being send to parts of the South Pacific. Actually I was wondering if the whole tale might have been sent to the forum's equivalent of Van Diemen's land. Surprised that the censor wouldn't allow, Dickens. So, here you go, censor - Dickens:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.".

Having passed the censor, I guess there's still a slim hope of a Disney contract, eh?

The fort? The short story is I rolled a '6'. I didn't elaborate as I thought John did such a good job of that with his story, but...to elaborate. There was one sentry on guard duty. Anamaria sidled up to him, claimed she was sent by the captain of the Orient as appreciation for protecting them, so while the sentry was distracted the other pirates snuck up from behind and over-powered him. The others were snoring in their beds. None of the garrison were killed. A very slick operation as one would expect from that clever Queen of the Pirates. I'm sure she speaks at least four languages fluently and with the accent of a native.

I suspect some new cast members will be joining the story in the next few episodes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think someone must have seen reason recently because the last attempt I made to mention either Charles or Dick Turpin I was**** out when I returned it.
    For my solo Indian Ocean Campaign I sailed as HEIC Bombay Marine Frigate, and when needed co-opted Royal Navy ships to afford a bit of backbone. The thing is that as envisaged we had two campaigns running on alternate months. A solo mission for beginners, and a Squadron based one for more advanced players, but some of us wanted more than one game every other month and took on both campaigns. Then things got too much to handle especially as some of us were also doing the games on the Drome as well. That is why we cut the show down to six games a year, but even that fizzled out midway through last year, and I ran out of scenario ideas too as I had been left holding the baby. Before each player had written at least on scenario a year with Neil and myself picking up any slack. It is great to see a couple of you playing the older games again. Makes the writing seem all the more worth while.
    Your quote from a Tale of Two Cities was very apt for our period Paul. I do hope you will be able to work a Madame Defarge character into your plot somewhere

Rob.

PS. I would sing quietly about Disney contracts if I were you. Remember the old addage about he who sups with the Devil needing a very long spoon!
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.