Thread: Best Ship Research links.

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Glad to post it! It makes me think we should rate merchant ships as starting out with only 2 crew actions. There guns might be loaded before the fight but they would have a tough time reloading, sailing, and doing damage control at the same time.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite agree, unless it was an Indiaman who could afford to run full crew.
    On the strength of what was read, I was just chatting with my son about the use of timber and construction methods used. Inevitably the conversation moved onto crewing, replacing spars after gales etc. When we got onto crew sizes. 150 plus for Frigates, against say 30 for a well found Merchant ship leaving Portsmouth. With the losses incurred on a voyage,deaths, illness, impressment by Warships, etc. we got onto developments in ship handling and how the Merchant Fleets improved technology through sheer necessity. A loss of 10 % crew in Gib, and then another 10% by the next warship you meet say at Capetown, and with say three or four crew lost to accidents, disease etc, you could be down to say 20 men before you even hit the hurricanes in the Indian Ocean. Hardly enough to man the pumps, let alone steer the ship and make good the leaks. Manning the guns! Better hope some of the passengers were Army Officers.

Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    Glad to post it! It makes me think we should rate merchant ships as starting out with only 2 crew actions. There guns might be loaded before the fight but they would have a tough time reloading, sailing, and doing damage control at the same time.
    I agreed with this, and put it on my provisional designs for merchantmen! - they are on my album at: http://www.sailsofglory.org/album.php?albumid=370 - I hope you agree with my stats?