Hybrid View

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Ask Clipper on WoG. He is making scaled Zeps at 1/144 scale, and has just done an aircraft carrier. I think it would ultimately depend upon price and shipping costs from a sales perspective. As you know, quantity demanded is based on price. I doubt 2' would deter folks in terms of taking such forts to conventions, etc., unless weight became an issue.

As for whether it is best to do a whole fort or partial, it depends upon how much folks want shore scenarios to turn into land-based gaming. I would love whole forts from an aesthetical and collector's perspective. I imagine for many, though, it would be overkill.
    I think I saw the photo with about a dozen of the Zeppelins filling what looked to be his dining room table.

That post didn't say what he was doing with them.
    IIRC they were basically hand made out of blocks of dense foam with added details.
    I think that I remember a picture of a jig that he was using to build them.
    My guess was that he used a hot wire technique with the jig to cut the basic shape.
    I shouild probably know a lot more about it than I do.

I know that Skytrex (now Red Eagle) sells something similar in kit form that is about 3 1/2 feet long and goes for something in the neighhborhood of $300.

That does hint at the whole discussion of size and cost that will be part of my update on the fort model this evening.
    A couple of directions that this could go.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    I think I saw the photo with about a dozen of the Zeppelins filling what looked to be his dining room table.

That post didn't say what he was doing with them.
    IIRC they were basically hand made out of blocks of dense foam with added details.
    I think that I remember a picture of a jig that he was using to build them.
    My guess was that he used a hot wire technique with the jig to cut the basic shape.
    I shouild probably know a lot more about it than I do.

I know that Skytrex (now Red Eagle) sells something similar in kit form that is about 3 1/2 feet long and goes for something in the neighhborhood of $300.

That does hint at the whole discussion of size and cost that will be part of my update on the fort model this evening.
    A couple of directions that this could go.
    Many of those Zeps were in a smaller scale. The 1/144 is significantly larger - and I have one coming.

I think once you give details as to price and size, you'll get a better idea what folks truly demand as opposed to want. One thing about smaller items is their versatility in terms of placement/position on a table.