Thread: Wave #4

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Fred, good point--but how big is that half-rulebook compared to the simplified "Quick Start" of the WGF Duel Packs?

The other possibility is it's a token "if you guys are serious about this Make The Business Case"--much like I try to challenge people to do in my little survey threads here and at the Drome with "pick one plane/ship, then justify why out of two/four slots available on the next run of that sculpt your choice should take priority over ALL others as a candidate for production." People who have to sell ideas to others are more open to hearing your ideas when you give them a ready-made argument they can pick up and run with only needing a little work if any to fine-tune--I learned this trick from an old classmate who's now a local legislator.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    but how big is that half-rulebook compared to the simplified "Quick Start" of the WGF Duel Packs?
    Dunno, I guess that's my question since I've never seen a duel pack

Presumably, though, if the idea was otherwise deemed good, it would not have to conform *precisely* to that limit

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The other possibility is it's a token "if you guys are serious about this Make The Business Case"--much like I try to challenge people to do in my little survey threads here and at the Drome with "pick one plane/ship, then justify why out of two/four slots available on the next run of that sculpt your choice should take priority over ALL others as a candidate for production." People who have to sell ideas to others are more open to hearing your ideas when you give them a ready-made argument they can pick up and run with only needing a little work if any to fine-tune--I learned this trick from an old classmate who's now a local legislator.
    I would not be surprised if pre-packaging arguments and laws for legislators is very effective in getting them to follow your desired policies. In business, however, my experience has been that "gut feel" drives things, and then "business cases" are usually created after the fact, to support the manager's/entrepreneur's "gut feel" in persuading higher-ups or investors to come on board.

Not that it's not a good exercise to make the business case, gather the data, work through the assumptions, etc. It's a useful process. But as a decision-making tool it is suspect, because usually small-but-plausible changes in the input variables will result in widely divergent projected outcomes

The other issue here is that given the data already available to Ares, no one outside the company is likely to be able to create an even halfway-credible argument/business case. They know SO much more about the production costs, opportunity costs of putting staff on it, feedback from distributor channels, sales run rates, etc. etc. than anyone else.

Again, that's not to say that their gut-feel on this (which I assume is actually driving things) is necessarily right or wrong, but either way, from outside there aren't really any levers to challenge that gut-feel once the suggestion has been made and rejected.

What we would need is an internal champion for all our brilliant ideas