Thread: Rory's Russian Fleet

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Rab & Ed,
    O.K. Both of you are using the same source, Ray Trockim. He uses 2 sources. One is "Splicing the Mainbrace" by Rod Langton in the "Miniature Wargames" January 1990. At no point is the colour of Russian hulls shown or talked about. This article is the bases of his " A Guide to Assembly, Painting & Rigging of Napoleonic Naval Models in Scale 1:1200" published in April 1999. In this book he says on page 20 "There are Reports that some Spanish vessels and several Russians were black". Again no green. Sources 2 I have not seen Otto von Pivka book so I cannot talk about it, but one book on all of the navies in this period must be very big and general. John Tredrea & Eduard Sozev have gone back to Russian sources and have if possible gone for each ship name by name, size by size, armament by armament and the history of the said ship. I think if one or more had a green paint job they would have said. This book was published in 2010. It maybe wrong. But I for one reading it think not. So I stand by my black and white Russian fleet. Ed, if one day we can put our fleets together and be apart of a big game, would make me a very happy man. be they green and white or not.
    Rab,
    Thank for showing me the way to the TMP thread.
    Be safe all
    Rory
    I have Pivka's, Navies of the Napoleonic Era, and while he goes in great detail on colors and markings of Russian Naval uniforms, I can find no mention of ship colors.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I have Pivka's, Navies of the Napoleonic Era, and while he goes in great detail on colors and markings of Russian Naval uniforms, I can find no mention of ship colors.
    Ed,
    I just love your ships, and hope you can get around to getting them on the games table again. As said before, If I win the lotto in the U.K. I'm shipping me and my ships state side for some games. If my dream comes true. I hope I can add you to my list. Is Pivka's book worth looking out for?
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Ed,
    I just love your ships, and hope you can get around to getting them on the games table again. As said before, If I win the lotto in the U.K. I'm shipping me and my ships state side for some games. If my dream comes true. I hope I can add you to my list. Is Pivka's book worth looking out for?
    Be safe
    Rory
    Rory, if you ever get to Southern Arizona, I'd be happy to put you up for a while.
    Pivka's, Navies of the Napoleonic Era was one of the first books to go into my Napoleonic library. Amazon.com has some in good condition for under $6.00 U.S.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Rory, if you ever get to Southern Arizona, I'd be happy to put you up for a while.
    Pivka's, Navies of the Napoleonic Era was one of the first books to go into my Napoleonic library. Amazon.com has some in good condition for under $6.00 U.S.
    There is a book by the same name by Digby... Is this a re-release perhaps? It even has the same number of pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wear Ship Dave View Post
    There is a book by the same name by Digby... Is this a re-release perhaps? It even has the same number of pages.
    Good question, the same amount of pages, even the same illustration (The battle of Copenhagen 1801) on the jacket, but different authors. Has anyone seen both?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Good question, the same amount of pages, even the same illustration (The battle of Copenhagen 1801) on the jacket, but different authors. Has anyone seen both?
    And I've found the answer...

From the Wiki about Digby Smith

"Since 1995, he has concentrated full-time on the writing of military history, some of which he wrote for Osprey Military Publishing under the nom de plume of Otto von Pivka."

So, it is the same book and new copies are available under the Digby Smith name.

Quote Originally Posted by Wear Ship Dave View Post
    And I've found the answer...

From the Wiki about Digby Smith

"Since 1995, he has concentrated full-time on the writing of military history, some of which he wrote for Osprey Military Publishing under the nom de plume of Otto von Pivka."So, it is the same book and new copies are available under the Digby Smith name.
    Now I'm more confused than ever. On the Osprey publishing site it say, Otto von Pivka (the nom de plume of Digby Smith) wrote his first book for Osprey in 1972. He is a prolific author, who has contributed many titles to the Men-at-Arms series on the armies and forces of the Napoleonic Wars. A former major in the British Army, he is now retired, but continues to write books on this key period.

But on the back cover of Navies of the Napoleonic era published by Hippocrenne, it has a picture of him with the following statement under it,
    OTTO von Pivka was born in Sonthofen, southern Germany, in 1920; his parents were Austrian. In 1938 he joined the Wehrmacht and became an infantry officer. During the war he served in North Africa and on the Russian Front; he was wounded at the capture of Tobruk After the war he devoted his spare time to perfecting his English in London and Vienna, and studied the history of the German peoples, concentrating on the Napoleonic era.

Seems like the more I read the more confused I get.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

I received a copy of it in the mail today. Found it on Amazon, residing in a used book store in Georgia. It cost me $5.68 +$4.00 shipping. The dust cover is a bit tattered, but the book itself is in very good condition.

I look forward to reading it.