Thread: Black Seas

Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Plastic models cost a fortune to set up (a sprue / frame costs in the region of £25,000) so they are only going to be used for volume sellers, items in starter sets etc. There is a minimum size for resin to be a practical proposition, and spun cast white metal works well for smaller items.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Plastic models cost a fortune to set up (a sprue / frame costs in the region of £25,000) so they are only going to be used for volume sellers, items in starter sets etc. There is a minimum size for resin to be a practical proposition, and spun cast white metal works well for smaller items.
    This has been repeated a number of times on their Facebook page, but folks don't seem to get it? Unfortunately, from my experience the metal casting for the masts is pretty bad. I have no issues with the anchors, boats, stern galleries, etc., but the bendable nature of the masts is disappointing. I'm not a metallurgy expert, but isn't there some way to make white metal less flexible, but also not breakable?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb