Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for June?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for June?

The scenery now has the basic colour for the Walls of the fortification and rocky crag added.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The scenery now has the basic colour for the Walls of the fortification and rocky crag added.
    Rob.
    Looking sooooooo good Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It's getting there Vol. Now the real work starts. No more large makeovers, but the nitty gritty of detailing, and all those buildings for the town are still ghost white.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

I have no word to describe the way this project takes shape. Absolutely astonishing. By the way, it looks so identical to the mountains in the background. It perfectly bends into it while it's not even painted yet. To the next step
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Nice progress, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dubourdieu View Post
    I have no word to describe the way this project takes shape. Absolutely astonishing. By the way, it looks so identical to the mountains in the background. It perfectly bends into it while it's not even painted yet. To the next step
    Thanks Romeo.
    I have Mrs Bligh (Speedwell Lass) to thank for the paint scheme. She advised me on the best colour match for the cliffs when we were at B&Q selecting the colours. Their match pots are only £1.50 a pot and have about three times as much paint as model shop paints at half the price, and they don't go off for years. The only down side is that their range is a bit limited.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you Sven.
    To think that had it not been for you and the Nile Battle this project would never have seen the light of dat.
    Rob.

I'll just say one word .... AMAZING

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you very kindly Julián. Coming from the master that is indeed praise. If we had a bowing Emoticon I would pay my respects to you sir. As it is all I can do is.

Rob.

Rob, you and Julian make me feel so inadequate!
    I believe I need to see the ship's councilor. Oh wait, wrong time period!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do not belittle your own expertise Vol. Remember it was only last month that you brought us this super offering.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I gave the surface a watered down PVA layer where I wanted the sand dunes, and then spreinkled fine sand over the area. Tomorrow I will repeat the process and add medium stones. When that has dried I will superglue the big boulders in place.
    Meantime I am positioning my buildings to get a feel for how I want the town to look.
    Tomorrow I will start painting them whilst the sand and rocks are drying.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here I have added the larger rocks to both parts of the scenics.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice job . This is more than I expected . Great city , it wouldn’t be easy to take that forts
    Which colors did you used ? I like the sand tones

It just keeps getting better and better Rob!

Name:  20200525_113809.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  126.5 KB

I finished Gunner's Ville de Varsovie tonight.
    I added rails aft of the main chains to tie off the back stays and heads to the bow. I also added a little blue silver to the windows to cover the black. New masts of course.

Name:  20200603_200953.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  164.8 KB
    Name:  20200603_200856(0).jpg
Views: 847
Size:  173.2 KB
    Name:  20200603_201607.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  134.9 KB
    Name:  20200603_201947.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  160.7 KB
    Name:  20200603_202916.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  192.4 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 06-03-2020 at 22:03.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another fine model that will grace anyones gaming table Vol. The stern is magnificent.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post

Which colors did you used ? I like the sand tones
    Hi Ferrante.
    The paints that I have used are as follows:-

Good Home Matt barranqilla, cartagena, and merida. These are shades of light brown, a sort of chalky pink and creamy grey.
    I also used Dulux butter biscuit, and natural wicker. All the above are trial pots for walls. At about £1.50 a tub they hold about three times the volume of a proper GAMES WORKSHOP paint pot at about a quater of the price.
    I also used Revell Reddish Brown, Afrikabraun and Ocker. plus Vallejo Yellow Ochre and Ivory.
    The basecoats for the whole shooting match were Spraycans of Citadel Corax White primer, overlaid by an undercoat of Paint Factory Matt Desert Sand.
    Hope that gives you an idea of the lengths to wich I will go to save a pound or two.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fancied a bit of a change today so started o bit of work on painting the town red this afternoon.
    Rob.

This is looking very well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.

Due to another magic two day turnround from Langton's today the final elements needed to complete my North African port and castle complex arrived. I can now push on with the detailing of the harbour.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you Rob. It is not easy to obtain real look like colors . And you got it . I am using Vallejo paints .
    Vol this ship Has gained 200% . Nice job

I am working into my Alger port expansion

Name:  75213E4A-7713-4477-B5DA-4A8238A3F642.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  249.7 KB

Name:  C183452F-DE48-461E-8C5E-5C4CA15A6110.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  200.2 KB

Thank you Rob. It is not easy to obtain real look like colors . And you got it . I am using Vallejo paints .
    Vol this ship Has gained 200% . Nice job

I am working into my Alger port expansion

Name:  75213E4A-7713-4477-B5DA-4A8238A3F642.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  249.7 KB

Name:  C183452F-DE48-461E-8C5E-5C4CA15A6110.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  200.2 KB
    Thank you Ferrante, and your Alger port expansion is very nice!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a real treat Ferrante. The Octagonal tower with the lighthouse on the end of the wall is unknown to me. Is it from Grenadier Miniatures?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been mostly painting buildings and dockside clutter.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having a bit of a rest from the buildings, I stareed preping up the Lateen rigged ships for my port, from Ron Langton's. Unfortunately that used up the last ogf my white primer until our local Games Workshop reopens.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have completed the basic painting of the buildings.
    Just now need dry brushing and windows painting.

Rob.

Rob, I have a qick qestion about the xebecs you're building. Are you planning to base them for SOG? Will they be a bit small?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Three of them are going to be used for Sails with bases. One is just for show in the Harbour with furled sails unloading.
    The size will not be a problem as there was no standard size for Algerine ships save those which they captured from the great Sailing powers. I intend y using them as small craft to mob larger ships. A lot seemed to mount one very large cannon in the bows and us that for reducing a larger well found ship from the bow or across the stern, before overwhelming the larger ship by sheer weight of numbers in the boarding parties. For stand up fights I intend to use converted Ares Frigates or ships captured from the Spanish.
    Rob.

Ok, I see it now. Good plan. I didn't know Rod had a furled lateen sail set. I may need to check that out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I can't find is any of their oared Galleys Vol.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dry brushing now completed and I am starting to glue down each building onto the town landscape.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-08-2020 at 13:12.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice update Rob
    I like your Xebeqs. There were different sizes for that ships in the era .
    The tower with the lighthouse is from brigade models . Is a Minorca tower with a little lighthouse . I seem something similar there .

What I can't find is any of their oared Galleys Vol.
    Rob.
    There is an oared galley in the Baltic section, along with quite a few additional oared vessels including a shebek and half shebek:

SR15
    Galley*(40 oars)
    3-masted with lateen sails.
    Pre 1796, there were 5 forward facing guns. After 1796, there would be either 5 forward facing guns or 3 forward firing guns plus 1 able to fire aft over the rudder head. This model could depict either

And there is the one galley in the Great Lakes line:

GL11
    Galley 'Washington' (20 gun) (1776-1777)
    Hull, stern, quarter deck, 2 masts; brass sails.
    Plus oarbanks (optional use).

Other than that you would have to visit the Renaissance section for galleys

Dry brushing now completed and I am starting to glue down each building onto the town landscape.
    Rob.
    Wow Rob! This looks amazing! I wish I had your skill, time, and room!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very nice update Rob
    I like your Xebeqs. There were different sizes for that ships in the era .
    The tower with the lighthouse is from brigade models . Is a Minorca tower with a little lighthouse . I seem something similar there .
    Thanks Ferrante.
    That was something i missed then.
    I will be going back to Brigade shortly so will have a look for it.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers for all that extra info Vol. I must admit that I did not look at the Baltic section. Never suspected that they would be there although I knew that they were a significant factor in Baltic warfare. Just got fixated on North Africa!

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been mostly painting Palm trees. Rob.

Are these palm trees from Julian?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes they are Vol. I got a pack of a hundred from him the year before Sven did The Nile at Doncaster. I still have about fifty left.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

There's some lovely work going om here.

Rob your port is coming on well and is going to look amazing when it's finished.

Vol your ship is as good as all the others I've seen you do.

Ferrante your port extension as also a great poece of work.

Thanks for posting these.

Yes they are Vol. I got a pack of a hundred from him the year before Sven did The Nile at Doncaster. I still have about fifty left.
    Rob.
    Dang they are nice! You are fortunate to to live so near Julian and have easy access to all of the cool stuff he sells. The postal costs are prohibitive to Washington.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Had a bit of a setback over the last few days. Suddenly become alergic to the fumes from the Superglue. Every time I use it I suffer a sort of nazal reaction like very bad Hayfever that lasts about two days. I really have to find am alternative before I can finish gluing my guns in place and the rest of the houses. Any good ideas will be welcome.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Had a bit of a setback over the last few days. Suddenly become alergic to the fumes from the Superglue. Every time I use it I suffer a sort of nazal reaction like very bad Hayfever that lasts about two days. I really have to find am alternative before I can finish gluing my guns in place and the rest of the houses. Any good ideas will be welcome.
    Rob.
    While it wont work in all modeling situations I often use two part epoxy glues. There's still a smell so that might well trigger your allergic reactions too, but it's not as strong as any of the super glues?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

I am also alergic Rob. Although my reaction is not as severe unless I use copious amounts. Unfortunately I have found nothing as convenient or fast acting as the Cyanoacrylate glues. We are not alone, it appears to be quite common. Here are some folk's comments and the measures they take.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ergic-Rhinitis

Today I have been mostly painting Palm trees. Rob.
    Rob, I forgot to ask what are those cylinder things in amongst the palms?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am thanking you a lot today Jim.
    I will pop into B&Q which is open and get some tomorrow.
    In the meantime here is what I pulled off today between sneezing fits and runny eyes.
    Mostly today I have beed painting windows.You may notice some of the town buildings are not stuck down yet, hence the funny angles. They were as far as I got before the glue got to me yesterday.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-10-2020 at 15:50.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for all the advice on the glues chaps and thanks for pointing me to that article on others experiences with CA glues Vol.
    The symptoms are spot on as described by them even to the few hours time delay before it hits.
    Rob.

Yes, for several years now we thought I was alergic to the cat, then the cat passed away and we thought it was moulds, the Christmas tree, dust, etc. It is worse in the winter and pretty much disappears in the summer. Well I spend a lot more time at the hobby bench in the winter and hardly any time in the summer, this one being an exception. By now my symptoms would normally be gone, but I have been spending a little bit of time everyday in the shipyard due to the pandemic and the unusual rainy weather. So we know it is the CA glue. I purchased a 3M Organic Vapor Respirator that works great, but I hate wearing it and doing so detracts from my enjoyment building the ships.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Thanks Romeo.
    I have Mrs Bligh (Speedwell Lass) to thank for the paint scheme. She advised me on the best colour match for the cliffs when we were at B&Q selecting the colours. Their match pots are only £1.50 a pot and have about three times as much paint as model shop paints at half the price, and they don't go off for years. The only down side is that their range is a bit limited.
    Rob.
    Sorry to answer that late (I will be quite busy till early July). Well this is obviously a good compromise between the cost and the results ! The urban colour tones are looking great with the cliffs on the background. The brushing step is the icing on the cake !!

Hey Vol, great job with your ship too. I'm starting getting used to wonderful results from the modellers of this forum !! I know that's a detail but I really like the fact that the "sprit sail" (front sail if I'm correct with the English vocabulary) is lowered on your models unlike the Warlord's ones which always keep them rolled up. That is cool too but that's neater when lowered in my opinion !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire