Thread: Avast Lubbers!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Default Avast Lubbers!

I be Capt’n Coyote. As stated on another forum board, you may refer to me as Lord Captain Charles, Second Beef of Wellington. Diamondback suggested, “Lord Chuck Fulla Bull,” although, I would prefer “Barron of B.S.” In a name befitting my avatar, you can refer to me as The Scientist Captain. (Engineer) In honor of my favorite Captain, the immortal Jean Luc Picard, you may also feel free to address me as “The Earl of Grey.” If you are in a hurry, "Sir" will be fine. (or "Mr. Coyote" if you're nasty.)

I once ruled the Great Lake of Michigan in my mighty 15’, no-gun sloop dubbed “Breakin’ Wind.” Unfortunately, I had to sell it years ago but I vow to once again rule the waves. (Just as soon as I finish paying off my gambling debts.) If you’re out there reading this Mr. Vinnie “No Neck” Fortuna, I’m putting you on notice. The odds are a paltry 25:1 (against) getting your money, with interest, the instant the Cubs win the World Series.

Triple rum rations for everyone if the Cubs pull it off.* (I think this year is finally their year, or maybe next year, we’ll see.)

*Disclaimer: "Triple rum rations for everyone" implies anyone 21+ years old may purchase the absolute lowest grade rum at a cost of only triple the going rate in your local market. Price does not include shipping. An additional handling fee of $50 will also be applied to your order at time of purchase. Rum will be diluted with 75% "natural" spring (read "toilet") water. (There be no free rides on this ship.)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Welcome to the Anchorage, "Lord Captain Charles". Enjoyable post and appropriate avatar. :)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Welcome to the Anchorage, "Lord Captain Charles". Enjoyable post and appropriate avatar. :)
    To the Right Honorable Nightmoss of the Bratwurst Isle, presumed donner of the Cheddar Tri-corner hat, I thank you. (Go Bears!) ;p

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Cubs winning the World Series. I think Diamond back was correct after all.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Ahoy and welcome!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Cubs winning the World Series. I think Diamond back was correct after all.
    Given your comment and location, I presume you're a fan of that south side team. Fine, but upon rereading the name of my former boat, I recommend perhaps declaring our (hopefully) mutual solidarity for the Bears. (Lest you get a whiff of my broadsides)

Very humorous, but have to end with "GO CARDS!"

Welcome aboard Charles!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    Very humorous, but have to end with "GO CARDS!"

Arg!

What's the difference between a Cardinals fan and a pot hole?
    I'd swerve to avoid the pot hole.

You'll get no quarter from me red bird.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Greetings from Scotland

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    What's the difference between a Cardinals fan and a pot hole?
    I'd swerve to avoid the pot hole.
    This will be adapted for sure. Thanks for the laugh.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

This will be adapted for sure. Thanks for the laugh.
    Here's hoping there are many more laughs to come.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Welcome!!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Smile

Ahoy Lord Captain Charles, Second Beef of Wellington and welcome to Anchorage. Your aptitude for humoring the surly crew is greatly appreciated and shall have quarter if not half here. I'm glad to be sailing with you no matter the wind.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Ahoy Lord Captain Charles, Second Beef of Wellington and welcome to Anchorage. Your aptitude for humoring the surly crew is greatly appreciated and shall have quarter if not half here. I'm glad to be sailing with you no matter the wind.
    You say that now, cmmdr, but my wife will attest 'tis often a foul wind that blows across this quarterdeck.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Welcome Charles, I'll be sure to keep my ship always upwind of yours

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Welcome Charles, I'll be sure to keep my ship always upwind of yours
    Smart man, always take the weather gauge. You'll make Admiral yet.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, 'Lord Captain' Charles.

If you’re out there reading this Mr. Vinnie “No Neck” Fortuna, I’m putting you on notice. The odds are a paltry 25:1 (against) getting your money, with interest, the instant the Cubs win the World Series.

Triple rum rations for everyone if the Cubs pull it off.* (I think this year is finally their year, or maybe next year, we’ll see.)
    Ah! finally a believer. Welcome from Arizona friend.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    The Archbishop of Chicago, Cardinal Francis George once said one of the best ways to develop charcter is through unwavering loyalty to a lost cause. He went on to say Cubs fans are full of character.

Gunner, my Cathedral is Wrigley Field and if I'm cut you'll see that my blood runs Cubby blue. Win or lose, do or die, true blue to the end. If we ever meet up in AZ for spring training, the first beer at the ballpark is on me.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Welcome

From which region of the Land of Lincoln do you hail?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The Archbishop of Chicago, Cardinal Francis George once said one of the best ways to develop charcter is through unwavering loyalty to a lost cause. He went on to say Cubs fans are full of character.

Gunner, my Cathedral is Wrigley Field and if I'm cut you'll see that my blood runs Cubby blue. Win or lose, do or die, true blue to the end. If we ever meet up in AZ for spring training, the first beer at the ballpark is on me.
    Steve Bartman will have no quarter here!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Steve Bartman will have no quarter here!
    I respectfully disagree with that statement.

In game six of the NLCS and only four outs from the World Series it was Mark Prior who hung an 0-2 curve ball to Ivan Rodriguez. it was Alex Gonzalez who bobbled a taylor-made double play ball that lead to the Cubs turning a 3-0 lead into a 3-8 loss. It was a team effort by the Cubs when they lost game 7 in their last chance at glory.

Every hand in that section was reaching for the ball as would any other human being in that situation. It's a subject of considerable debate as to whether Alou could have even caught that ball if there was no interference. I don't blame Steve Bartman for anything. For all that Mr. Bartman has endured since that day I will gladly give him a place of honor in my wardroom and buy him all the beer he can drink.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post

My fellow shipmates, whenever the Sox win the crosstown classic, they have had a winning season regardless of what their ending record happens to be.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Welcome

From which region of the Land of Lincoln do you hail?
    Hail fellow Flatlander. I'm in the far north 'burbs of Chicago. So far I can almost call myself a cheese head if I didn't think that was such a derogatory moniker. Where's your Port of Call?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

My fellow shipmates, whenever the Sox win the crosstown classic, they have had a winning season regardless of what their ending record happens to be.
    Even when the south siders manage to make it to the World Series, they still have to give away tickets with every purchase of a whopper at Burger King just to get people to show up for the game.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Even when the south siders manage to make it to the World Series, they still have to give away tickets with every purchase of a whopper at Burger King just to get people to show up for the game.
    As a Cubs fan, I am surprised you can spell World Series, being foreign words.

There is no better place to be than in Hohokam Park during the month of March! The Mesa Hohokams would like to thank all the Cub fans who have been supporting Spring Training in Mesa through the years.

Because of the fans and the efforts of the Hohokams, the Hohokam Foundation has been able to give back to the community an average of $125,000 a year to benefit youth activities. THANKS CUBS FANS!

If you ever make it, PM me and there'll be an extra room waiting for you.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

As a Cubs fan, I am surprised you can spell World Series, being foreign words.
    You should use your real likeness as your avatar since a White Sox fan with the financial means to own and the manual dexterity to operate a computer is more rare than Big Foot. Although I suspect you have a charitable north sider helping you. We have that tendancy towards helping those less fortunate, Sox fans being the least fortunate of all. Even Mother Theresa went to Africa because she couldn't help Sox fans.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

You should use your real likeness as your avatar since a White Sox fan with the financial means to own and the manual dexterity to operate a computer is more rare than Big Foot. Although I suspect you have a charitable north sider helping you. We have that tendancy towards helping those less fortunate, Sox fans being the least fortunate of all. Even Mother Theresa went to Africa because she couldn't help Sox fans.
    I just got off the phone with a friend who told me this joke, and immediately I thought of you fine folks.

A kid in school was wearing a Cubs shirt when his teacher asked why he was a Cubs' fan. He replied, "Because my father and mother are Cubs fans." The teacher asked, "What would you do if your father and mother were a drug dealer and prostitute?" The kid answered, "I'ld be a Sox fan."

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Hail fellow Flatlander. I'm in the far north 'burbs of Chicago. So far I can almost call myself a cheese head if I didn't think that was such a derogatory moniker. Where's your Port of Call?
    Western Suburbs.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

I just got off the phone with a friend who told me this joke, and immediately I thought of you fine folks.

A kid in school was wearing a Cubs shirt when his teacher asked why he was a Cubs' fan. He replied, "Because my father and mother are Cubs fans." The teacher asked, "What would you do if your father and mother were a drug dealer and prostitute?" The kid answered, "I'ld be a Sox fan."
    That'd be funny if it wasn't true. OMG! What am I saying!? That's freaking hilarious BECAUSE it's true!

Bonjour, Charles.

Welcome on board.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Bonjour, Charles.

Welcome on board.
    Danke und Guten Tag, Sven! Hast du alles gut im griff?

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

Welcome from the other side of the ocean.

Danke und Guten Tag, Sven! Hast du alles gut im griff?
    "Mai oui, Monsieur le Capitaine."

I'm sailing for the French, because there are no Prussian ships.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hey - know what Cubs fans do to celebrate after a win? Neither do they.
    What do you call 40 millionaires around a TV watching the World Series? The Chicago Cubs.

But on a more serious note, police in Chicago recently responded to a call of a vehicle break-in. The owner of the vehicle said he had left two tickets to a Cubs game on his dash, and someone busted his window and left two more Cubs tickets there.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome to the Anchorage David. When you have an opportunity, head on over to the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be happy to meet such an insightful member.
    http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Welcome-Aboard

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by degodave View Post
    Hey - know what Cubs fans do to celebrate after a win? Neither do they.
    What do you call 40 millionaires around a TV watching the World Series? The Chicago Cubs.

But on a more serious note, police in Chicago recently responded to a call of a vehicle break-in. The owner of the vehicle said he had left two tickets to a Cubs game on his dash, and someone busted his window and left two more Cubs tickets there.
    Another Sox fan. You guys should start a support group. I know of a great place with thousands of empty seats where you can have your meetings. Just look for a big building on the south side with the words "US Cellular Field" on the front.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    J

I would hope you purchased several copies of SoG, for you and all your alternate identities! You could have a fleet action with each of you captaining your own ship!

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Willkommen, welcome , Charles

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by The J View Post
    I would hope you purchased several copies of SoG, for you and all your alternate identities! You could have a fleet action with each of you captaining your own ship!
    In this way I'm never alone because I'm always in the company of good people.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Aubrey View Post
    Willkommen, welcome , Charles
    Danke. Where in Nordrhein-Westfalen?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Hello, welcome to the group!!!

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome aboard Charles.

At least if nothing else the members from Illinois can keep the rest of us entertained with their own rivalries. Very much like football rivalries over here.