Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    One explanation: the Ares Spanish 74 is based on Bahama but IIRC is dimensioned as her original 64-gun specs, and the Meregildos is based on the Greenwich draught of Salvador del Mundo, which was noticeably smaller than all of her sisters.
    I thought the conclusion we reached at the time was that someone had scaled them to 1/1200 rather than 1/1000?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I thought the conclusion we reached at the time was that someone had scaled them to 1/1200 rather than 1/1000?
    I think a botched measurement process made most of the new releases ~15-20% undersize. SdM is at least in part accounted for by the Greenwich drought--their current engineer INSISTS Wave 1 was oversized though.

We also know Ares will NEVER drop an "Oops, we made a mistake, our bad" beyond me accepting responsibility for my own like Constitution overlength, which even at the time I had remarked that "something seems really odd about this data" and I should have cross-referenced additional material to check Winfield. (BWAS 1793-1817 1st Ed. listed President as 197', which seemed odd because "a frigate longer than a 3-decker SOL?" 197' OAL is plausible but the key measure of LBP or Main Deck should have been around 175'.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.