Hybrid View

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hey Rory.

I have a question, which you'll probably be getting to shortly, but do you ever wait to put the ratlines on until after the running rigging is done? I'm beginning to think that even with the extra lines it might be easier to put ratlines on last?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Hey Rory.

I have a question, which you'll probably be getting to shortly, but do you ever wait to put the ratlines on until after the running rigging is done? I'm beginning to think that even with the extra lines it might be easier to put ratlines on last?
    Hi Jim,
    I would say No. The rat-lines are apart of the standing rigging. It can be hard getting the running rigging around the rat-lines sometimes. I feel it would be harder still to work the hard and unbendable rat-lines into place. I work from the in-side out. I know you have done it last from your postings. I think you where lucky that you where working on big model's. I am not God so I maybe wrong.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I would say No. The rat-lines are apart of the standing rigging. It can be hard getting the running rigging around the rat-lines sometimes. I feel it would be harder still to work the hard and unbendable rat-lines into place. I work from the in-side out. I know you have done it last from your postings. I think you where lucky that you where working on big model's. I am not God so I maybe wrong.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks for the reply, Rory. I may give it a go sometime, but for now I'll continue putting the ratlines on between placement of the standing rigging and running rigging.

I just finished another 64 gun ship and I'm almost at the point where I may pass on future running rigging altogether and go with just the standing rigging. I've noticed that running rigging has a tendency to loosen the standing rigging lines and it certainly increases the amount of time it takes to wrap up the ship construction.