Thread: My Portland 50 Re-envisioned, and others...

Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Thanks for the Rep, Andrew.

Have you seen my other posts on water current, and sailing tweaks? Also, we play a variation where the ships can be damaged on both sides.
    I'm a bit late back to the party, but I saw the sailing tweaks, which I also found interesting. I noticed that you had blue markings for the schooners Ranger and Enterprise. What movement cards do you use for those? I like the water current cards too - I guess those could be used to represent the effect of strong winds as well? The damage to both sides is also an impressive improvement to the realism of the game. Since I'm still new to the game, I might gradually introduce these things as I get more familiar with it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dobbs' ship charts in post 19 are well worth taking a look at Andrew.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbe View Post
    I'm a bit late back to the party, but I saw the sailing tweaks, which I also found interesting. I noticed that you had blue markings for the schooners Ranger and Enterprise. What movement cards do you use for those? I like the water current cards too - I guess those could be used to represent the effect of strong winds as well? The damage to both sides is also an impressive improvement to the realism of the game. Since I'm still new to the game, I might gradually introduce these things as I get more familiar with it.
    The Blue arc on schooners is to represent that they are not good at running before the wind. If the schooner is in the Blue arc, the player uses the orange movement at the next wind speed down. If the schooner is moving at Backing Sails already, then the player moves the forward edge of the base to the back of the Full Sails orange.