Thread: AARs 2018.

Hybrid View

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Good AAR there, my only question is the firing only seems to be using A chits, which is long range ball, some of those should be B chits, short range ie under half a ruler this would have caused a bit more damage to the ships.
    Like the use of chain shot, I must admit to never yet seeing that in use in my games.
    Overall a nice game there, glad you enjoyed it.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Good AAR there, my only question is the firing only seems to be using A chits, which is long range ball, some of those should be B chits, short range ie under half a ruler this would have caused a bit more damage to the ships.
    Like the use of chain shot, I must admit to never yet seeing that in use in my games.
    Overall a nice game there, glad you enjoyed it.
    Hi Chris,
    At extreme close range the sloop fired for B chits with chain shot, and I considered a different ammo for the Constitution, but went with ball because I figured they'd just try to sink her outright.
    Bill

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Hi Chris,
    At extreme close range the sloop fired for B chits with chain shot, and I considered a different ammo for the Constitution, but went with ball because I figured they'd just try to sink her outright.
    Bill
    Hi Bill,
    Think something missing for you here

Firing ball at over a half ruler range marked yellow A chit damage to enemy
    Firing at under a half ruler then its B chit damage to enemy marked in Orange
    If using doublshot, range is upto half a ruler and gives A and B chit damage
    Using Chain shot use range ruler upto length marked in Red and use C chits damage
    Using grape shot use ruler upto length marked in Purple and use D chits
    Musketry is a ruler width and uses E chits, blue

So ball is not just A chits it depends if at long or short range over half way A chits under half way B chits

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Think something missing for you here

Firing ball at over a half ruler range marked yellow A chit damage to enemy
    Firing at under a half ruler then its B chit damage to enemy marked in Orange
    If using doublshot, range is upto half a ruler and gives A and B chit damage
    Using Chain shot use range ruler upto length marked in Red and use C chits damage
    Using grape shot use ruler upto length marked in Purple and use D chits
    Musketry is a ruler width and uses E chits, blue

So ball is not just A chits it depends if at long or short range over half way A chits under half way B chits
    Thank you Chris! I just learned something -- and clearly this is one of the benefits of this site -- because there is no one in my area that plays Sails (that I know of), I'm left to my own devices on figuring out the rules. This was my first attempt at a game and I obviously could have used a veteran hand to guide my play.
    So the upside of this game is that I gained two take aways from members of this site: 1) don't forget to fire your musketry when in range, and 2) get the range/ammo/damage chits right you big dummy
    Thanks again for your help -- I really want to play it properly.
    Bill