Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April 2022?

Looks really good Rob!

I am printing Henry's new 62 gun Ottoman today, both FDM and Chunky version, while I continue work on the Bounty.

Name:  20220413_143529.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  159.4 KB

Had to make a quick jig for the 1/190 scale ratlines

Name:  20220413_192817.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  183.7 KB
    Name:  20220413_192832.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  192.5 KB

And thank you for the rep points Paul

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting to see the actual printing process in an interim state, and also your ratline jig in action Vol.

I may well get back onto my Bounty in a week or so.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good news this morning. The foam for housing my Dubrovnik terrain has finally arrived in the nick of time so that it has a home when I have finished it in a few days time.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Good to see the Adriatic Coast finally coming to its final stages, Rob.

I'm making progress with my 17th century Dutch fleet - rigging done on all but the two pinnaces (two ships in the middle back of the starboard view and the two on the left of the stern view). The pinnaces have their forestays done - need to do the shrouds/ratlines, backstays and running rigging. A small error happened with the smaller Langton ship with the rigging done - the running rigging knotted to the bowsprit stay ended up with the knot to far forward. I like it such that the lines down to the catheads is nearly vertical (as it is with the large Langton ship). I did not notice that until I was done rigging the bowsprit. I had another problem with that particular rigging due to snipping a bit of excess line from the knot to the yard on the lower sail before the glue had dried. Ooops. That was fixable the other would be really complicated to fix - I would need to re-do the forestay line and the running rigging for the bowsprit without damaging stuff after the glued has dried. I've tried that before and it's a disaster.

So, remaining steps - for the pinnaces: shrouds/ratlines, backstays; for all ships: final/touch-up painting, flags (for the Langtons - the Ark Royals have flags) and the sea bases.

I'm getting to a stage where doing the running rigging with thread is almost meditative. LoL

Name:  Dutch Fleet 3a.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  172.7 KB Name:  Dutch Fleet 3b.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  136.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those ships are looking magnificent Paul. Can't wait to see them in action.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Those ships are looking magnificent Paul. Can't wait to see them in action.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob. I'm really quite happy with the large, 60-gun Langton (front right of the starboard view). I've done the Wassenaar coat of arms on the tafferel (not that one can really see that at 1/1200 scale). Since I've in Wassenaar for 9 years I had to do the ship as the Wassenaar. Curiously enough, the Wassenaar won't be in my first game. She will show up in a future game but I'll need to do more ships before then.

Beautiful fleet Paul! And I'm with you, rigging is my favorite part of a build.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Excellent work everyone, I hope to post a few more pics this coming week, including the ratline jig from the wargaming3d site. I have found they work ok, but be prepared for a number of failures. Beauty beingnof course it is only cotton being wasted on the failures.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I produced the storage for Dubrovnik and its hinterland.
    Rob.

That is a perfect way to transport fragile pieces Rob. Well done!

Today, while the wife is getting new countertops installed, I get to hide in the basement and work on Bounty!
    Currently working on the upper ratlines. No jig for these, I'm freehanding them in place. Port side done and trimmed. Starboard side next.

Name:  20220415_141019.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  143.2 KB

Meanwhile I am still printing my latest ship order from Henry.
    These 3 are his Amsterdam merchants

Name:  20220415_141903.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  177.7 KB

And these, left to right (FDM & Chunky), are the Ottoman 62 gun Peling-i-bahri , Leda class 38, French Courageux 74, British Courageux 74:

Name:  20220415_142509.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  152.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your fleet is certainly progressing at a pace Vol. It is nice to be able to work on one job whilst another is underway automatically. I wish I could do that. The ratlines are superb. You would never guess that they were hand made.
    Also thank you for the Rep you gave me with regards to the storage of Dubrovnic, it is a follow up to the box I made for the Nile project. That has now outgrown its box with the addition of the Tripoli Forts last year.

Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Your projects are all very beautiful as usual and I love the scale of HMS Bounty . It's great that you've found a plastic box with the right dimensions for your scenery, Rob. It's perfect against dust. I should proceed the same way because my shelfs are not so optimal with flocking.

So today I take the plunge and share some pictures of the pieces I managed to paint last months since I've never dared to show anything from the beginning. I know that there are blemishes and inconsistent "flashy" colours. I try to improve as much as I can and I guess, it will come with time. I've also got another project in progress with land army miniatures in order to link it with Navy that gives me the opportunity to try a lot of different colours approaches and tests.

There are basically various ships-of-the-line and some unrated ones and gunboats from UK, Spain and France. Amongst them, the specific : HMS Royal Sovereign (I really have to plan a HMS Victory soon!), L'Orient, La Santísima Trinidad, Montañes and San Juan Nepomuceno. I'm also making my very first island scenery as an outline (I would like thereafter to make an inhabited island with a fortified little harbour) so I will for sure follow your models because it is a very exciting undertaking but thorny too (the global shape, flocking, paints to get something quite realistic).

Hoping you'll enjoy them !

Name:  20220416_171818.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  132.4 KBName:  20220416_171813.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  145.4 KBName:  20220416_171745.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  151.8 KBName:  20220416_171735.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  96.2 KBName:  20220416_171316.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  136.1 KBName:  20220416_171329.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  173.0 KBName:  20220416_171336.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  175.4 KBName:  20220416_171350.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  164.9 KBName:  20220416_171727.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  112.3 KB
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Last of the Dutch fleet rigged! Next steps are easy - painting, flags and bases. The should be fighting the Portuguese later in the coming week. AAR to follow.

Name:  Dutch Fleet 4.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  153.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That work is very fine Roméo. Painting the names on the ships certainly adds a certain Je ne sais quoi in the English sense of the word. A certain special something.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been mainly making bridges. Two down and two to go. Then I can get back to painting the last dozen or so houses before gluing them in place.

Rob.

Really nice looking fleet Roméo. I recognize the Warlord Games Black Seas named vessels there. I also like your use of the signal flags. Well done!

Paul, those Dutch Langtons are awfully pretty ships!

Time to make sails for Bounty

Name:  20220415_205608.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  170.2 KB
    Name:  20220416_153407.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  244.8 KB

I also printed out Henry's new baglah dhow, three ships in the file, two large and one small with sails.

Name:  20220416_151644.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  239.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yet another set of ships coming along well Vol.
    High time I got Dubrovnic off the stocks and got a few more ships onto them.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those Dhows would make a nice addition to my Indian Ocean campaign Vol.
    Rob.

Those Dhows would make a nice addition to my Indian Ocean campaign Vol.
    Rob.
    I was thinking of a Sinbad scenario, haha.
    The dhow has an interesting history.
    https://www.marhaba.qa/the-origins-of-the-dhow/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Geniious Vol!
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Thank you for your kind, promising replies. Absolutely, ships from Warlord factory and it is true that the possibility for some of them to paint the name of the ship is a real plus to the result. About the signal flags, since the Victory set in stone a very famous sentence, I had to leave an answer to that on the Orient's foremast !

I'm really impressed by your French level, Rob. Bravo, Monsieur !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are all four bridges completed and now in place.

Rob.

Really looks great Rob

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Rob done the Ottoman and looking at getting the Dhow, nowEaster done I can get the pics uploaded

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great Chris I am agog to see these ships.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Really looks great Rob
    Thanks Vol. With a new photo of the bridge shown here I have discovered that the wall actually continues a few meters after the bridge although it gradually gets lower as it progresses.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-19-2022 at 05:15.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your kind remarks and the Rep Paul.
    Rob.

I've completed the Dutch fleet for the battle against the Portuguese off of Goa. There's one extra ship which will not be in the battle; it's the Wassenaar (60 guns) which is a nod to the village of Wassenaar, which was my home for 9 years - long enough for a war, eh? The two pinnnaces, Bredamme and Franeker, are flagged for the VOC. The Wassenaar belonged to the Admiralty of the Maas, so I've given it the Rotterdam flag as its home flag. The Zierikzee has the flag for that city (red with a black lion). There's no reason I've given the VOC ships orange for the national flag. I just wanted some with the earlier version.

Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_0.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  121.0 KB Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_1.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  151.1 KB Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_2.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  150.4 KB Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_3.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  142.2 KB Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_4.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  175.3 KB Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_5.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  148.9 KB Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_6.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  164.0 KB

Wow, impressive fleet Paul. I like the odd number of guns these older ships had before the rating systems became standard. They hadn't yet utilized the line of battle so any fight was a melee. Have you seen the movie "Admiral" about admiral Michiel de Ruyter? Some great battle scenes in that one.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A magnificent sight Paul. Just wait until Opdam, (Lex) sees those beauties. Certainly Rep worthy.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Wow, impressive fleet Paul. I like the odd number of guns these older ships had before the rating systems became standard. They hadn't yet utilized the line of battle so any fight was a melee. Have you seen the movie "Admiral" about admiral Michiel de Ruyter? Some great battle scenes in that one.
    Thanks, Vol. It's an interesting period of transition as navies tried to improve naval technology and to figure out how best to use that technology. It's tempting to extend wargame rules for earlier or later periods into such a period. Sometimes that works but not always as it can either fail to capture the new warfare capabilities (if using an earlier rule set) or prejudice older technology (for a later rule set) because, unlike people at the time, we know what worked out. The mid-19th century was similar. I've often wondered if it would be possible to create a rule set specifically to capture the unknowns of new technology - i.e., does it work, how best to use, etc. That would be a challenge.

I've only seen clips of "Admiral" but what I've seen has been great.

A magnificent sight Paul. Just wait until Opdam, (Lex) sees those beauties. Certainly Rep worthy.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob...and for the rep. Today I will try out the "Mad for War" pre-release, "essentials" rules. With Sails of Glory I find that I can handle up to about 8 ships in total; after that I start to make lots of errors and get frustrated. The "Mad for War" rules are simpler; so hopefully it will be easier to manage larger battles. The game I will play today (Dutch vs Portuguese off Goa) has only 8 ships in total; larger battles will need to wait until I get more ships done. The 9 ships I've done for the Dutch and Portuguese are only 20% of what I've purchased.

The weather finally turned nice so I have been catching up on all of the needed work outside. So this is all I have been able to accomplish on Bounty's sails

Name:  20220423_091337.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  230.7 KB
    Name:  20220423_091348.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  172.8 KB
    Name:  20220423_091356.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  191.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Something I also need to follow up on next week.
    I have all Bounty's sails excepting the Jib.
    Rob.

What material do you chaps use for the sails. I'm thinking of using silkspan for my 28mm Firelock ships.

On the bounty I am using cloth. For my 1/1200 through 1/700 scale ships I normally use regular printer paper, but I recently used cloth on a few 1/700 ships. You can look back at the workbench posts for last October to see one of them or on my blog here https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/...rouin.html?m=1

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On the few occasions when I make my own sails I have been using very thin heat bent plasticard with cotton for the reefing points and lines.
    Rob.

Thanks for the info.

My sails will be for this - a 4-gun tartane. For reference, she carries the 1/1200 60-gun Wassenaar. :)

The ship will be used for 28mm skirmish action - ready to be boarded by pirates, aaaarrrr.

Name:  Tartana.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  106.0 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Some more items from my shipyard. Will do some separate threads in case of Specific Questions

Spanish ships

Purisma Conception... Simon Mann

Rayo Simon Mann left the 74 version right the Trafalgar version

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sinking markers

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ratline maker, had to adjust to 1/1000 scale. used cotton to wrap around the slots as shown. not done the cross lines yet.
    soaked cotton in diluted white pva, diluted to a sludge consistency not running, left to dry for 24 hours then cut with cutters
    a few failures but intend to soak by immersion.
    but once dry they are sturdy enough to attach but dont bend or they will drop to bits.
    am trying to resize the jig for the different rates

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Found this on the MyMini Factory

Mars Class, which is good for me as my avatar Capn Duff fought at Trafalgar on HMS Mars a large 74
    need to check the masts and sails to check size with Ares models

Last edited by Capn Duff; 04-24-2022 at 22:28.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Brit ships

Gunboats

Intrepid class 64s#

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ottoman 62 Pelengi i Bahri from Henry Turner

Those Mars class from My Minifactory, are they from Age of Sail Minis Chris? The side by side boats remind me of the old Davco/Triton minis.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Thanks for the info.

My sails will be for this - a 4-gun tartane. For reference, she carries the 1/1200 60-gun Wassenaar. :)

The ship will be used for 28mm skirmish action - ready to be boarded by pirates, aaaarrrr.
    I have toyed with the idea of doing ships boats to a larger scale for landing parties or boarding actions Paul, but the price of a large pair of ships has always pout me off.
    That looks like a good compromise.
    How much was that one?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those ships are very exciting Chris. At long last we are starting to get a range of the lesser obtainable ones which have eluded us for so long.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sorry chaps looks like I did not clean up the Ottoman models correctly, I will do so and post pics again