Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
Jan, I like your logic a lot, and I think the addition of the pictures was extremely helpful in understanding and appreciating your point.

When running games, I would prefer not to look at a chart and modifiers; keep it quick because the gain of realism might not offset the cost in game-play momentum. When playing solo, I have the luxury to explore greater intricacies, so charts are fine. I use them when playing WoG and really enjoy the effects.

I have played games in which the GM spent much time consulting charts and rolling dice; after a while, I started checking out of the game's story, and each turn became separated from the previous and subsequent turns. Too often, the game never reached the conclusion because only a few, highly-detailed turns were completed.
Thank you, Eric. I also don't like charts, and try to avoid them at all costs. However, one of my ideas (add number of hands/crew actions still available) to the chit drawn, requires no tables, and seems fun. I don't want the game to get complicated - I've been designing game rules for more than a decade, and very early on I've came to the conclusion that the simpler rules often give you more realistic experience - real life is not a chart of probabilities and everything can happen :)

My reason for thinking about these rules is that during the first games that I've played, and scenarios that I've set, I presumed that a windward position, and tactics of gaining -attitude towards the wind, give you an edge. And I learned - they don't. You just have to close on enemy and go around in circles.
The game doesn't have any mechanics baked in that would represent the weather gauge, and from reading AoS novels I had always imagined that struggle to gain the better of enemy in terms of weather gauge.

The problem I can see here, is that the game was designed to be played on small mat, and sailing out of it amounts to surrender. We all know that it is totally contradictory to historical reality, but it requires the rules to allow free movement down and up the wind so the game doesn't end in players struggling to not be pushed out of the ring by The Game

So what I've proposed here certainly has sense only if you allow the game to be moved along with playing surface, and deeply messes with original rules.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn
Umm, guys -- I do believe I covered this in one sentence: "If tacking, no firing". (Tacking here defined by "wind coming through front of base".)
That's a fine, simple rule that would make tacking no-so-nice, but I don't see how being hung in irons would prevent the gun crews from firing.

Jim - As you can notice, I've started the sequence with the leeward ship already tacking (first hourglass forward move to the right). Then the second broadside is executed after the second hourglass move (backing).