Thread: New Player Any Suggestions

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by JimBlkHwk View Post
    Great gaming setup, and nice pictures! Can't wait to see your after action reports. I'd recommend checking out the Campaigns tab for solo play scenarios and others AARs. It's been really helpful to me as I get going, especially as I started right before quarantine hit!

Regards.
    James
    Thanks James! I build the table a few years ago for board gaming. I actually have a game underneath this as that plywood sheet lifts out to a recessed gaming space.

Great tips! I will check the Campaigns tab and AARs. I feel I have a lot to learn about tactics!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by usfbrown View Post
    I build the table a few years ago for board gaming. I actually have a game underneath this as that plywood sheet lifts out to a recessed gaming space.

Great tips! I will check the Campaigns tab and AARs. I feel I have a lot to learn about tactics!
    That has also given me an idea for extending my new games table without needing to move it. I just need an extra 300 mm to take my 600mm games board squares side by side.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Most important thing is to remember to start simple--"crawl before you try to walk, walk before you try to run." I don't recall if anybody's posted any, but I think a few guys have mentioned having cheat-sheet checklists of the various things to keep track of every turn.

One other thing: I suggest you make copies or scans of the logs, then laminate the printed copies and use a grease pencil to just write damage, special damage and used Captain/Crew abilities right on the log, less fighting with chits that way and less to worry about having jostled when Jabba-the-Gamer shows up to bump your table or a klutz like me trips and falls onto it. :)
    Jabba the gamer!

Great ideas! I found a fillable PDF here that I can laminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That has also given me an idea for extending my new games table without needing to move it. I just need an extra 300 mm to take my 600mm games board squares side by side.
    Rob.
    Keep us posted on it! I've seen people make table toppers for gaming. I followed the thread/instructions on BGG's build a gaming table for $150. Although it did cost me more than that.
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/147...ming-table-150

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Already having my games room and table I should be able to do the add on without much bother.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.