Thread: Play by PM SoG game

Hybrid View

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just to clarify in my mind is the game on the Aerodrome involving 3 separate mats (one for each player and one for the moderator)? Or is there just one map that the GM is using to monitor moves? If there's only one mat and the GM coordinates everything after the players submit moves this may not be too complicated to do if players agree that the final word on moves and combat is the GMs?

Bottom line is the GM mat and turns is all we'd see here, whether player or peanut gallery observer.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Just to clarify in my mind is the game on the Aerodrome involving 3 separate mats (one for each player and one for the moderator)? Or is there just one map that the GM is using to monitor moves? If there's only one mat and the GM coordinates everything after the players submit moves this may not be too complicated to do if players agree that the final word on moves and combat is the GMs?

Bottom line is the GM mat and turns is all we'd see here, whether player or peanut gallery observer.
    Jim it was the GM who had the mats and moved the planes, the players sent him their moves and he made them. My only thought really is how do the players know where there ships are in relation to the other players ships so that they can make a meaningful move.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I thought we would all have a mat set up, and post our moves to the GM. He would then set up the mat as it was in the new situation with any actions we had made and post that on this site. We would then adjust our ships accordingly and send him our next move.

rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I thought we would all have a mat set up, and post our moves to the GM. He would then set up the mat as it was in the new situation with any actions we had made and post that on this site. We would then adjust our ships accordingly and send him our next move.

rob.
    That would certainly work, but would definitely require more precise measurements for the two players mats, etc.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would think that you would all need to have measurements from the two corners of your ship base to the enemy mainmast. That would triagulate both ships. With more involved games using multiple ships it could get much more time consuming.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Jim it was the GM who had the mats and moved the planes, the players sent him their moves and he made them. My only thought really is how do the players know where there ships are in relation to the other players ships so that they can make a meaningful move.
    From what I could see on the Aerodrome the top down view that the GM took at the beginning and end of each turn would be sufficient for players to decide their moves? The issue that is more of a problem with Wings is altitude.

With Sails a good top down view of the ships might be all you'd need to decide on movement and eventual firing? The GM could take photos with range markers, etc. Decisions on wind could be double checked with GM as well? Just my two cents and general thinking to get the boat in the water.
    –English Proverb