View Poll Results: What do you want to see on game mats? Multiple choices can be made.

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plain blue water

28 25.23%
  • Different shades of blue water

77 69.37%
  • Islands

29 26.13%
  • Coastlines

33 29.73%
  • Ports/Towns

34 30.63%
  • Other

8 7.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What do you want to see on game mats?

Hybrid View

Landsman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Nicolas

Ports/Town. Would be nice you can stop to refuel or get more ammo OR repair your ship.
    Yeah would be great...

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_sailor View Post
    Ports/Town. Would be nice you can stop to refuel or get more ammo OR repair your ship.
    Yeah would be great...

Nick
    And later when Pirate ships are available, a place to raid and plunder.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

A river mouth leading inland would lend itself to many options in terms of ports/forts/towns.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_sailor View Post
    Yeah would be great...
    I can see ports as locations for raids or an objective of taking out certain shore defenses or a place for either trying to break out of a blockade or slip into port without being destroyed/captured. But considering the time involved with repairs, resupply, etc. having a "healing" point in the game takes out a lot of realism in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    I can see ports as locations for raids or an objective of taking out certain shore defenses or a place for either trying to break out of a blockade or slip into port without being destroyed/captured. But considering the time involved with repairs, resupply, etc. having a "healing" point in the game takes out a lot of realism in my opinion.
    So you just want to duke it out on the high seas until someone sinks?
    Not a complaint, just a question.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    But could be good in terms of a campaign. Then it could also turn into a scenario. Remeber the Hornblower book where the ship sails into the harbour to destroy the four Frrench ships that are laid up awaiting repairs or supplies. A nice scenario based on that has the potential to be very challenging and interesting if done right.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    So you just want to duke it out on the high seas until someone sinks?
    At the tactical level, I don't believe the time scale of a game would include repair/refit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    But could be good in terms of a campaign. Then it could also turn into a scenario. Remeber the Hornblower book where the ship sails into the harbour to destroy the four French ships that are laid up awaiting repairs or supplies. A nice scenario based on that has the potential to be very challenging and interesting if done right.
    For a scenario, absolutely. That sounds like a good one. Like I said, having ports as places for activity is great. One player can be trying to get as much of his fleet into port as possible before a certain turn, or a French player can be trying to break out of an English blockade, etc. Or some ships can be in port for repairs and able to make sail at the end of certain turns and the opposing player needs to come in, damage as much of the ships as possible and escape with his raiders. All that I think are great tactical missions that can be played out around ports.

And if you are playing out a campaign then any ships you get into port can be repaired, etc. over the course of whatever campaign time scale exists.

But the though of playing a tactical game where if a player can dock their ship and leave it docked to repair one damage box per turn, for example, just seems too 'video game' and not very realistic. Some repairs are tried to be made at sea in the heat of battle but that's a different scope than what you would do at a dock and fit within the time frame of a couple hours of in-game time for a battle.

Just my preferences. Others would find port 'repair stations' to be a fun addition to the game.