Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    One small point Monsieur.
    You would be unlikly see that combination of flags in reality, because as you will know your version of the Tricolour was superseeded in 1794, whilst the Union in the canton of the Brithish flag did not have the St. Patrick's cross added until 1801.
    Bligh.
    I knew our history master would point that weakness out but I found nothing but that available. Let's say that in a eureka moment, some British flagman has imagined this could happen so this picture doesn't disappear under the weight of anachronism!

Just one thing, I had read in an article that in fact the French revolutionary flag was still used till 1799 as a "land-ensign" (like a cohabitation with the tricolour used by the navy) while we indeed usually say that it is superseeded by the current tricolour in 1794 in any occasion. Never found any example of it though.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dubourdieu View Post
    I knew our history master would point that weakness out but I found nothing but that available. Let's say that in a eureka moment, some British flagman has imagined this could happen so this picture doesn't disappear under the weight of anachronism!

Just one thing, I had read in an article that in fact the French revolutionary flag was still used till 1799 as a "land-ensign" (like a cohabitation with the tricolour used by the navy) while we indeed usually say that it is superseeded by the current tricolour in 1794 in any occasion. Never found any example of it though.
    Found that interesting Monsieur. found this page https://www.crwflags.com/Fotw/flags/fr_revol.html#pre I would also suspect that with it taking nearly 1 year to get to the outer colonies, no flag was thrown away, but used until it rotted. Same as the British union flag, there are many regimental paintings of units still flying their "old colours", as they had not received new ones.
    Last edited by Lord Dasper; 05-16-2020 at 08:14.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dasper View Post
    Found that interesting Monsieur. found this page https://www.crwflags.com/Fotw/flags/fr_revol.html#pre I would also suspect that with it taking nearly 1 year to get to the outer colonies, no flag was thrown away, but used until it rotted. Same as the British union flag, there are many regimental paintings of units still flying their "old colours", as they had not received new ones.
    Well, it definitely makes sense notably considering the irreducible travelling time and also the practical aspect as you mentioned the fact that nothing was automatically thrown away.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire