Thread: The optional rule "Continuous Fire:" Why would you NOT use that (if being used)

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Except that reloading drives the action system in the game, which is a nice tactical addition to the *oG system. Ditch Continuous Fire instead and you preserve a more intersting game mechanic.
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 01-21-2014 at 14:38.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Except that reloading drives the action system in the game, which is a nice tactical addition to the *oG system. Ditch Continuous Fire instead and you preserve a more intersting game mechanic.
    I know the gamers up here would be less impressed by only being able to fire every alternate turn at-best, given how loathed the WoG turn-sequence is ("we've been playing twelve turns, and we've only gotten off three shots").

Oh, well -- at least I now know who to blame.... >;)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Oh, well -- at least I now know who to blame.... >;)
    Feel free

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Not for me. The fact that there is an official rule that completely removes them and the game can still function shows that they are not the driving factors. Firing and reloading are just two of many actions that need to be considered. As DeRuyter points out above, the gun crews have little effect on the sailing of the ship. I don't think repair crews were part of gun crews either... so not having actions for shooting/reloading would just simulate that the gun crews did what they did... always. The non fighting crews would be where a captain would have to make decisions on what to do with.

I'm with you on the mechanics are more interesting with the normal fire rules and had this rule not been introduced, I'd would say not to have it... or at least not in this form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.