Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Yes you are right, I've just been looking over my older notes again to refresh and it was the older alcantara that sank with a horde of treasure.
    I'll overlay the lines from this plan with the ildefonso ones to get a better feel for the rebuild modifications. Should be interesting.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckL35 View Post
    Yes you are right, I've just been looking over my older notes again to refresh and it was the older alcantara that sank with a horde of treasure.
    I'll overlay the lines from this plan with the ildefonso ones to get a better feel for the rebuild modifications. Should be interesting.
    That would be an interesting comparison to see. At first I thought Bahama had been rebuilt up to Ildefonso spec since that was the "standard design" at that time, but in comparison for the drawings I found, to my eye the rake of her stern looked more like an enclosed version of San Joaquin or maybe San Fermin--not really a good fit to group with either Nepomuceno or Ildefonso. Still looking for anything on San Miguel and San Antonio to try to trace the evolution of the Spanish 74...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Funny you should mention a similarity to the San Joaquin - I created a new file for the lines from the San Joaquin one I had previously done. Dropping the Bahama plan in on the Joaquin lines shows that for the most part above the waterline, they are almost an exact match except for the extra pinching in at the stern nearer the water line and much narrower top rear, and the much sharper cutting bow shape. I'll also look to drop in the San Ildefonso and Montanes lines in to see if there are also similarities.

Name:  Selection_753.png
Views: 1622
Size:  309.5 KB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Thinking about it, maybe it makes more sense as on the following page it states that 'San Joaquín (originally begun as San Pedro de Alcántara) 70 (launched 14 June 1771 at Cartagena) - BU 1817'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._line_of_Spain

The actual finished San Pedro de Alcántara that sunk with the treasure was built in Cuba in 1770 so the Joaquin may well be the natural descendant.

On top of that for the Bahama - 'She was built in Havana on plans originally drawn by Ignacio Mullan for the 64-gun San Pedro de Alcantara' so we could theoretically have a circular relationship to the lines which explains a number of similarities - but also differences with the spanish tweaking the designs between builds
    From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanis..._Bahama_(1784)

Very interesting :)