Hybrid View

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Are these the metal mast/spar sets Jim? They don't appear quite so bad as the platic sets. The the spar appear to set more to the front of the masts rather than flush.
    Vol, I put up some comparison shots of the metal vs plastic masts from Warlords on an existing thread so as not to overload this workbench December thread. Here's the thread link:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...6497#post96497

While I have some 1st rate sails in brass that I may still use for l'Orient I decided to trace and cut out some brass sails from a roll of brass sheeting I had on hand. We'll see how they rough up and bend to look appropriate for the ship.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Vol, I put up some comparison shots of the metal vs plastic masts from Warlords on an existing thread so as not to overload this workbench December thread. Here's the thread link:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...6497#post96497

While I have some 1st rate sails in brass that I may still use for l'Orient I decided to trace and cut out some brass sails from a roll of brass sheeting I had on hand. We'll see how they rough up and bend to look appropriate for the ship.
    Those metal masts look "bendy". I'm afraid it might be difficult to keep the rigging taught with soft metal masts. I know it's difficult in 1/1200 scale.
    Gosh Jim that is ambitious. I haven't tried to make brass sails for a very long time. I came to the realization that paper sails didn't make me bleed near as much as brass LOL!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Those metal masts look "bendy". I'm afraid it might be difficult to keep the rigging taught with soft metal masts. I know it's difficult in 1/1200 scale.
    Gosh Jim that is ambitious. I haven't tried to make brass sails for a very long time. I came to the realization that paper sails didn't make me bleed near as much as brass LOL!
    The white metal masts are very "bendy", which was a major complaint (and still is I think) from folks on the Black Seas pages of Facebook. It's for that reason I purchased some elastic threading that might make rigging a bit easier? I have never used stretch thread before so it remains to be seen how well this will work?

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-ca...g-and-various/

You're correct concerning the brass sails as I'd managed to stick myself twice with the sharp ends of the jib sails!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb