Thread: Collison Damage too Harsh?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I've been playing with the entanglement risk as the only penalty. It seems to be working fine; there's been no rash of indecorous hyper-close formations in response.

The justifications we use for the lack of enemy ram damage (fended off, cushioned by spars and bowsprit, the ship is smaller than the base, last-second manoeuvring, etc.) all apply just as well to friendly collisions. The risk of entanglement is enough to stop captains from casually bumping their ships into each other.

Even if you were to include it, the ram damage as per RAW is wildly excessive. A couple of chainshot chits maybe, but five close-range ball chits? No way.

--
    Craig
    Here is my solution used in a recent convention game:

1. Risk of entanglement.
    2. Loss of speed/momentum, ie; start next turn on backing sails.
    3. If you collide while at Full sail you take one "C" chit for rigging damage.

If an odd situation comes up like Alyssa mentioned we just play that the ships have sailed past each other.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Here is my solution used in a recent convention game:

1. Risk of entanglement.
    2. Loss of speed/momentum, ie; start next turn on backing sails.
    3. If you collide while at Full sail you take one "C" chit for rigging damage.

If an odd situation comes up like Alyssa mentioned we just play that the ships have sailed past each other.

Eric
    Amazing...minus the "C" chit, that's what I was contemplating on the way to work this morning. I think I'll add the "C" chit into it.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Amazing...minus the "C" chit, that's what I was contemplating on the way to work this morning. I think I'll add the "C" chit into it.
    I like the sail damage; if I was introducing that, though, I'd apply it to all collisions, friendly or hostile.

Good to have a reason to avoid full sail in combat, though. I've been using "double damage for sail hits if target is at full sail when hit" (i.e. Lose the ability to use full sail after a single sail damage instead of needing two).

--
    Craig

I like the sail damage; if I was introducing that, though, I'd apply it to all collisions, friendly or hostile.

Good to have a reason to avoid full sail in combat, though. I've been using "double damage for sail hits if target is at full sail when hit" (i.e. Lose the ability to use full sail after a single sail damage instead of needing two).

--
    Craig
    Right I wasn't clear on that point - My house rules apply to any collision, or in the case of sail damage to the ship that has full sails up. I like your extra sail damage chit for shooting as well.

BTW - Are those your feet up in the rig of the HMB Endeavor?

Eric

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

BTW - Are those your feet up in the rig of the HMB Endeavor?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  82.4 KB

Yup. :-)

Foremast watch, Thursday Island to Darwin. Major fun.

--
    Craig

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

BTW, see below for a video tour. Facebook links, but they should be publicly visible:

Mastvid https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150334505334973

Deckvid https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150340775849973

--
    Craig

Yup. :-)

Foremast watch, Thursday Island to Darwin. Major fun.

--
    Craig
    Very cool. Nice to see another tall ship sailor. Here is the ship I used to sail on SV Kalmar Nyckel Dutch pinnace in Swedish service, original built 1625. I had to pull foc'sle watch, as one of the lookouts, as you can see in the shot below.

Name:  Kalmar Nyckel under sail.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  46.1 KBName:  KN stern quarter.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  31.9 KB

Eric

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Very cool. Nice to see another tall ship sailor. Here is the ship I used to sail on SV Kalmar Nyckel Dutch pinnace in Swedish service, original built 1625.
    Lovely; I like the lookout platform out on the bowsprit...

Endeavour's only a replica, but she's accurate from the mess deck up. And they salvaged a bit of the ballast that the original dumped after they hit the reef; it's now tied to a mast on the mess deck.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to post some more pics. :-)

On the yards

Views: 710
Size:  90.2 KB

1st Officer Dirk with a decorative backdrop

Views: 776
Size:  126.5 KB

Whee!

Views: 752
Size:  134.4 KB

--
    Craig
    Last edited by Craig; 03-12-2014 at 00:30.