Thread: 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

One question i have for people is: Should I place the ships boats in the waist? When at quarters the ships boats were always towed astern, however there really isn't enough room on the base to do that, so should i attach them to the ship, or leave them off? I

ts something i have been delaying on making a decision with, but i think i need to make it soon, before i start the rigging.

Cheers

Chris

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    One question i have for people is: Should I place the ships boats in the waist? When at quarters the ships boats were always towed astern, however there really isn't enough room on the base to do that, so should i attach them to the ship, or leave them off? I

ts something i have been delaying on making a decision with, but i think i need to make it soon, before i start the rigging.

Cheers

Chris
    I like "A" too. British ships had Skid Beams over the waist as you have on your model. It takes a long time to lower boats. So it was done if possible. I would leave them on the Skid Beams. (it would cover the lack of crew )
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

A) is probably better. Helps keep the rats and/or mice under control as well. I like Rory's suggestion on the boats.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    I like "A" too. British ships had Skid Beams over the waist as you have on your model. It takes a long time to lower boats. So it was done if possible. I would leave them on the Skid Beams. (it would cover the lack of crew )
    Be safe
    Rory
    I think ill take your suggestion with putting the boats on the skid beams, it will cover the lack of some crew in the waist and ive done it on my other two models and it looks good. I have also taken your advice and added another 40+ crew. You were right, the decks now look far more alive, good call

This is also my 100th post, so i say goodbye to my old rank of able seaman and join the midshipman's berth. Its a long way to go before i'll be wetting my swab, but im on the way.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  211.2 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  235.7 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  212.6 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

First off, congrats on your promotion. You know you have to buy everyone drinks now, right? ;)

The Victory is looking really stunning. The extra crew really does add to the overall activity feeling you get when you look down on the deck.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    First off, congrats on your promotion. You know you have to buy everyone drinks now, right? ;)

The Victory is looking really stunning. The extra crew really does add to the overall activity feeling you get when you look down on the deck.
    Thank you for the congrats! Though i rather thing your promotion to 2nd Lieutenant, rather eclipses my promotion and qualifies you for buying the drinks now. Congratulations :g&t:

Hats off to Rory You were totally right about needing more crew! I have to admit the idea of painting another 40 odd crew didn't fill me with joy, but the ship looks much better as a result.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on friday, and have been somewhat out of it for the last few days, so there will be a few more days before i can get onto starting the masts and rigging. My mouth currently feels like Rory has been practising with his 16th century surgery kit on it.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thank you for the congrats! Though i rather thing your promotion to 2nd Lieutenant, rather eclipses my promotion and qualifies you for buying the drinks now. Congratulations :g&t:

Hats off to Rory You were totally right about needing more crew! I have to admit the idea of painting another 40 odd crew didn't fill me with joy, but the ship looks much better as a result.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on friday, and have been somewhat out of it for the last few days, so there will be a few more days before i can get onto starting the masts and rigging. My mouth currently feels like Rory has been practising with his 16th century surgery kit on it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post

Ed's promotion eclipsed both of ours, so I figure he's buying the drinks now?

Had my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once) many years ago. By all means take it easy until they're mending well. Last thing you need with them is infection or dry sockets.

Looking forward very must to seeing the masts and rigging work.

Take care.

Ed's promotion eclipsed both of ours, so I figure he's buying the drinks now?
    Ed will always buy the first two rounds. Anytime you feel the need to dry the salt water out of your lungs, steer to the Arizona desert. The only salt out here is on the lip of a Margareta.