Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Lots of things in SGN (and WoG) would be simpler with dice
    Do. Not. Get. Me. Started. :)

If I want a Simple Wind-Direction-Change mechanic, here's what I do: Take a chit, and flip it; whichever way it's pointing is the direction the wind is blowing. >:)

(I realize this will be considered Sacrilege, but: FFG's _X-Wing_ really scores over _WoG_ with its use of dice, and a single set of maneuvers rather than bespoke movement decks for every flippin' unit.)

Ares has decided to differentiate themselves in sailing games by using a diceless system. I think it mechanically functions well with the ship operations. There are interacting demands that are all integrated well.
    Wind direction and force change are completely independent of everything and the use of counters adds nothing. That being said, Ares is being consistent with the theme in how the system works.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

(I realize this will be considered Sacrilege, but: FFG's _X-Wing_ really scores over _WoG_ with its use of dice, and a single set of maneuvers rather than bespoke movement decks for every flippin' unit.)
    I'm not so sure about this. I am just getting into x-wing and like it (as a subsitute for 40k as being more personalized taht WoG, but less cumbersome than 40k), but that is one problem I think it has. The templates are great for ease of use, but I find they do make the movements generic. I don't get much of a thrill opening a new ship as I know that whether it is an agile TIE Interceptor or a more methodical TIE Bomber, there isn't much variation.

Every ship will have the core moves (that block of 9-12 or so moves in the center). The only difference is the length of the K turn and where the green block is (starting at speed 1 or starting at speed 2). The color does add some variation, but as that doesn't actually affect movement (just the strategic use of it), it isn't a real variation.

Basically, there are only 12 basic moves and an opposite 6 for turning the other way. Every ship will have access to most of those. The main thing I miss is the ability to Side slip. Since the game is reactive (single move per turn) Side slips aren't much of a surprise when carried over turns.

To be clear, I am not dogging the game. I like it and am actually waiting for a shipment of more pieces today. Yay! However, I am not ready to call the templates better. They are easier, but they lack a lot of the subtlety and variation that drawing a line on a card can do. If ease of use was more important to me than variation and subtlety, I would be playing "snakes and ladders" instead.

As to dice, that conversation has been done plenty (as you know). In this case, I agree (though I normally favor the controlled odds of chits). The dice work very well with how their powers play out. IT is a great way to "buy into better odds."