Thread: 3D Ship Files / Kickstarter

Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is fine Henry. Im so used to having to mend booms and masts on Ares ships that a lanthorn ot two would not bother me at all, but I can see that from your viewpoint with a reputation to build up, you would not like an adverse press at the onset. I think that offering the models at the 1000th scale will be a good move on your part for those of us who wish to complement our fleets with those ships not covered by Ares. I am especially keen to get my Dutch Fleet underway.
    my best wishes for the New Year to you.
    Rob.
    Speaking of the Dutch, I've had a bit of a Dutch day!

A customer who I sold some prints to when I (briefly) offered to fulfill physical orders, sent me these pictures of my Dutch 74 - he has it fulfilling the role of Hornblower's HMS Sutherland in this diorama:
    Name:  XOCHv1i.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  egfNzZJ.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  58.1 KB

And, furthermore, today I began work on a Dutch frigate for my Anglo-Dutch range:
    Name:  uHDv3x2.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  uzel2v1.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  46.2 KB

The final somewhat exciting bit of news, too - I spoke at length with a model manufacturer and he was really urging me to consider commissioning resin/pewter production of my ships and selling physical products. He walked me through how he did it himself and, well, it all seems rather achievable! I'm sorely tempted to make my next naval Kickstarter an attempt to weigh-in with generic ships - perhaps starting with, say, a Leda-class, Temeraire and Tonnant.

However, I'm not sure if that'd be of interest to you guys? I'm assuming that my value is more as a potential provider of niche ships that Ares hasn't covered - and that's rather at odds with producing ships with mass appeal that will sell enough to cover their production costs. I'm happy to do both, however, as it doesn't seem like digital design and selling physical miniatures are mutually exclusive occupations :)
    Last edited by HenryTurner; 12-31-2020 at 08:56.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTurner View Post
    Speaking of the Dutch, I've had a bit of a Dutch day!

A customer who I sold some prints to when I (briefly) offered to fulfill physical orders, sent me these pictures of my Dutch 74 - he has it fulfilling the role of Hornblower's HMS Sutherland in this diorama:
    Name:  XOCHv1i.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  egfNzZJ.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  58.1 KB

And, furthermore, today I began work on a Dutch frigate for my Anglo-Dutch range:
    Name:  uHDv3x2.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  uzel2v1.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  46.2 KB

The final somewhat exciting bit of news, too - I spoke at length with a model manufacturer and he was really urging me to consider commissioning resin/pewter production of my ships and selling physical products. He walked me through how he did it himself and, well, it all seems rather achievable! I'm sorely tempted to make my next naval Kickstarter an attempt to weigh-in with generic ships - perhaps starting with, say, a Leda-class, Temeraire and Tonnant.

However, I'm not sure if that'd be of interest to you guys? I'm assuming that my value is more as a potential provider of niche ships that Ares hasn't covered - and that's rather at odds with producing ships with mass appeal that will sell enough to cover their production costs. I'm happy to do both, however, as it doesn't seem like digital design and selling physical miniatures are mutually exclusive occupations :)
    Henry, that might be another opportunity for you, as I mentioned in our email. Even within those there are variations and room to be different--the basic Leda is a straight copy of a French Hebe but there was also a "fir-built" version with a squared-off stern I don't expect to see anytime soon, the Cydnus class. Temeraires you have the Duquesnes (minor improved), Cassard (Large 74 version) and Pluton ("shallow-draft model") versions along with the British Pompee and America clones and the direct-ancestor Annibals, and there's the two variations of Tonnant-Bucentaure. Guess what I'm trying to say is, even within the "commodity classes" there's still room to do your own thing and carve a niche for yourself there too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like your Dutch 74 Henry. Is that any specific ship or just a generic type?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I like your Dutch 74 Henry. Is that any specific ship or just a generic type?
    Rob.
    It's an early kit of mine which I intend to redo, I just attempted to give it a new lease on life by updating the deck fittings and planking to be more in-line with my current models. It's a hybrid kit that's got two stern options included to allow for the printing of either Washington or Prins Maurits. I wouldn't say it's a totally accurate model, but it roughly corresponds to the 74s like Vrijheid.

By the way, everyone, here's a rather daft question I ought've asked earlier - is there anything I should do on the 1/1000 sculpts to make them visually compatible with Ares' ships?

Looking at the ships, I see some have spars across their spar decks, with boats stowed as if the ships aren't in combat, and there are also the large flagstaffs on the stern - is there any consistency with this stuff? I assume people won't want me to put a large flagstaff, but how about flag poles - are they needed for attaching paper ensigns for gameplay purposes? As for spars and boats - it's always been my policy to not include them because the spars would be taken down and the boats trailed behind the ship in combat. But will that make my models stick out?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is only my personal opinion Henry, but I prefer the ships trailing like Redcoat does his. By the time ships got to the distance they are on our play mats they would have cleared for action anyway. As for flag staffs, although it is useful for those of us who do not rig our ships, in reality when in action most ships that I have seen in artwork fly the flags run up on lines, and this would seem to be the norm for those who rig their ships, but I'm sure that my shipmates will want their sat on this shortly.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.