Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    That's a good one! Might I suggest if you draw chits, subtract 2 from all of the numerical damage? It makes the little boats last longer (I feel it represents the smaller guns better. 16 18 pdrs do a lot more damage than 16 6 pdrs).
    Dobbs, I've been toying with a similar idea for a while I'll throw out for your consideration...

For each Rate the target ship is LOWER than the firing ship, draw one less Damage chit (to a minimum of 1 draw.) For each rate HIGHER, draw one MORE but also reduce all damage drawn by the same number (to a minimum of 1 unless drawn chit is a 0).
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dobbs, I've been toying with a similar idea for a while I'll throw out for your consideration...

For each Rate the target ship is LOWER than the firing ship, draw one less Damage chit (to a minimum of 1 draw.) For each rate HIGHER, draw one MORE but also reduce all damage drawn by the same number (to a minimum of 1 unless drawn chit is a 0).
    Diamondback, I felt that the Ares gunnery system was only weak on the smaller ship end.

If I might plug my method, it is simply if the historical ship was firing less than 9 pdr long guns, subtract 2 from any numeric damage drawn. If the ship is using primarily 9-12 pdrs, subtract 1. It applies to all targets.

Obviously, the probability on specialty hits doesn't change, but those are lucky shots. So your sloop may get a mast hit on a 1st rate, but you're not going to scratch the hull.