Thread: Smallest plastic sailing ship?

Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

My Friends, there is much good in this thread. Let's sail back on that course.

Kenneth (or do you prefer Ken?), thank you for sharing. Those ships do look nice; I was introduced to Tumbling Dice 1:4800 through this site, and was amazed how nice they look for being so small. What do you think of the game?

I am finding that our circle is becoming more open to playing different kinds of games, but games with minis, as opposed to hex-and-chit, are the preferred medium. Could it be age? So I am now looking for such games, e.g. Ikusa, some of the A&A boardgames, etc. I am about to jump into Memoir 44. What I like about these games is that most folks I play with are not war gamers, but are open to trying these types of lighter military-themed games.

For solo play, though, I hope to never abandon hex-and-chit. I am currently assembling the Lock 'n Load series, and, this week, just started purchasing the Combat Commander series - something about WWII tactical - must watch Combat this winter.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    My Friends, there is much good in this thread. Let's sail back on that course.

Kenneth (or do you prefer Ken?), thank you for sharing. Those ships do look nice; I was introduced to Tumbling Dice 1:4800 through this site, and was amazed how nice they look for being so small. What do you think of the game?

I am finding that our circle is becoming more open to playing different kinds of games, but games with minis, as opposed to hex-and-chit, are the preferred medium. Could it be age? So I am now looking for such games, e.g. Ikusa, some of the A&A boardgames, etc. I am about to jump into Memoir 44. What I like about these games is that most folks I play with are not war gamers, but are open to trying these types of lighter military-themed games.

For solo play, though, I hope to never abandon hex-and-chit. I am currently assembling the Lock 'n Load series, and, this week, just started purchasing the Combat Commander series - something about WWII tactical - must watch Combat this winter.
    Not to sidetrack the Sails discussion, but did you ever get your copy of the Conflict of Heroes solo edition to Awakening the Bear? Supposedly promised for September it still doesn't look like it's available on their website?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Not to sidetrack the Sails discussion, but did you ever get your copy of the Conflict of Heroes solo edition to Awakening the Bear? Supposedly promised for September it still doesn't look like it's available on their website?
    Still waiting on that and the next expansion. I realized the other day that I am building a collection of WWII tactical games, not doing so consciously or deliberatively. I was a bit surprised. What I am looking forward to is the different playing experiences. As I read reviews on BGG, the different systems all seem to offer something unique, even if focused on the same genre. I am also realizing the need to cull through the collection. I hate having things collect dust when they could be used by others. Which reminds me, I have some leisure suits from the '70s if anyone needs them.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Which reminds me, I have some leisure suits from the '70s if anyone needs them.
    Oh, the abject HORROR... I'm sorry, but IMHO the ONLY good thing that came of the 1970s was my gal. LOL

I have some leisure suits from the '70s if anyone needs them.
    Speaking of the 70's, I wish I had a dollar for every leisure suit I burnt a hole in with my cigarettes. Polyester burns so easily.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Hi Jim,

Just got it. CSI stocked these a few days ago. A long time coming, no?

I have heard good things about it. On BGG, I signed up for a 10x10 challenge in which you commit to playing 10 games 10 times in 2016. CoH is one of my 10 games, many of which will utilize the solo rule set.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Just got it. CSI stocked these a few days ago. A long time coming, no?

I have heard good things about it. On BGG, I signed up for a 10x10 challenge in which you commit to playing 10 games 10 times in 2016. CoH is one of my 10 games, many of which will utilize the solo rule set.
    That's crazy!! Of course maybe I shouldn't say that too loudly. Someone from Ares might decide they can delay Wave 3 even longer?!?

Enjoy!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb