Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

So, the first step in my chit method was to make an "X" on one of the chits with just a dot on it. In my Tupperware cup, I put the "+","-", one blank, and my "X". I left one of the blanks out, because I liked the probability better my way.

Each turn, a player draws from the cup until a "+" or "-" is drawn. Then, a Wind Direction counter is placed next to the Wind Gauge to indicate whether the wind is trending up or down. The drawn chit is placed back in the cup. On subsequent turns, A "+" cancels a "-", and vice versa. The big change is, if the wind is trending away from the starting wind speed, the "X" cancels out the potential change in addition to the opposite draw. If it is trending back toward the starting wind, the "X" confirms the speed change in addition to the same draw. Before a chit is placed on the Wind Gauge, the "X" is treated like a blank.

This gives a 1 in 16 chance of a wind speed change, and a 1 in 8 of returning to the starting wind. My intention was to have a wind that could fluctuate but trend toward the starting wind.

I have come up with a table for starting wind speed and expanded wind rules, with wind to either side of the wind gauge (lighter and stronger), but that is for another post if anyone is interested.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    So, the first step in my chit method was to make an "X" on one of the chits with just a dot on it. In my Tupperware cup, I put the "+","-", one blank, and my "X". I left one of the blanks out, because I liked the probability better my way.

Each turn, a player draws from the cup until a "+" or "-" is drawn. Then, a Wind Direction counter is placed next to the Wind Gauge to indicate whether the wind is trending up or down. The drawn chit is placed back in the cup. On subsequent turns, A "+" cancels a "-", and vice versa. The big change is, if the wind is trending away from the starting wind speed, the "X" cancels out the potential change in addition to the opposite draw. If it is trending back toward the starting wind, the "X" confirms the speed change in addition to the same draw. Before a chit is placed on the Wind Gauge, the "X" is treated like a blank.

This gives a 1 in 16 chance of a wind speed change, and a 1 in 8 of returning to the starting wind. My intention was to have a wind that could fluctuate but trend toward the starting wind.

I have come up with a table for starting wind speed and expanded wind rules, with wind to either side of the wind gauge (lighter and stronger), but that is for another post if anyone is interested.
    It is an interesting way to deal with the wind and probably more realistic than having it swing violently back and forth. I can't quite get my head round the nuances of it until playing it with chits, but it looks interesting. I wonder how the maths would compare to my die system?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It is an interesting way to deal with the wind and probably more realistic than having it swing violently back and forth. I can't quite get my head round the nuances of it until playing it with chits, but it looks interesting. I wonder how the maths would compare to my die system?
    Rob.
    I don't see an example of your die system for speed changes in this post. Lead me to it, and I will give you my feedback.