Thread: Foam Storage trays

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

On their side. Vertical standing seems to be the optimum method of allowing the mini to rattle around, breaking sails etc. Also, the 1.5 inch height compared to 3" height would tend to negate the number of mini's per when you consider the number per volume of the bag the layers of storage are in.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
    On their side. Vertical standing seems to be the optimum method of allowing the mini to rattle around, breaking sails etc. Also, the 1.5 inch height compared to 3" height would tend to negate the number of mini's per when you consider the number per volume of the bag the layers of storage are in.
    I think they would actually rattle around more on their sides... since the sails stick out over the sides of the hulls, they do not lay flat as it is. If I do them vertically, the peg on the bottom would be inserted into the tray's foam bottom (but not sticking all the way through) and the cutout for the ship would be fitted around the sails. As to the 1.5 to 3 inch concern, I can fit roughly two ships standing up in the same footprint as one ship laying on it's side. This would appear to give you the same number of ships standing up in one 3 inch tray as you would get with them laying down in two 1.5 inch trays. The differeance is, when you use two trays, you are actually adding another .25 inch in height for the tray bottom. So, two 1.5 inch trays become 3.25 inches tall. It does not sound like much, but at four trays, you lose a full inch of vertical space in your bag.

Another thing to think about, two 1.5 trays are going to cost more then a single 3 tray... about $7-$8 more.