Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Ah, if I was home I might be able to dredge up a picture from my days doing a pirate dinner theater as the dread pirate Winthrop Doylee, who considered himself more of a merchant with an alternative lifestyle. It's just about cutting out the middle man.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In my case it was more about shutting up the middle man Dobbs. That Parrot was programmed to say back anything that was spoken to it. We were at a Pirate day at a school where a friend was the Head Master. Having three Hundred kids coming up and saying pieces of eight can get a bit tedious. Then one kid realized that if you swore at the damned bird it would swear back. Not really the ticket at a C of E school, so I switched it off whenever this kid approached it. He could not fathom why he was the only kid it would not speak to. My friend later told him it was because the parrot could not abide people who used bad language. I never found out if it stopped the kid swearing!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Ah, if I was home I might be able to dredge up a picture from my days doing a pirate dinner theater as the dread pirate Winthrop Doylee, who considered himself more of a merchant with an alternative lifestyle. It's just about cutting out the middle man.
    A pirate dinner theater Dobbs ? You never cease to amaze me. Were you a lyric tenor, a robust baritone, or a basso profundo ? I must confess that when I sing animals cringe for miles around....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    "I sing animals cringe for miles around...."
    Got me there Bill! I can't for the lfe of me place which G&S Operetta from which that one comes?

Maybe it comes in the bit in Pirates, with the policemen after you stepped on the cat in rehersals.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Got me there Bill! I can't for the lfe of me place which G&S Operetta from which that one comes?

Maybe it comes in the bit in Pirates, with the policemen after you stepped on the cat in rehersals.
    Rob.
    I am chagrined to say it is original to me....although if old Bill Gilbert were still around and wanted to use it I would happily give it to him...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On reflection, maybe we had better leave things as they are Bill.

Rob.