Thread: A new threat to the British Fleet.

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, the other thing is that various sources at Wikipedia aren't always consistent about which "foot" they're using between the Spanish Burgos foot, French pied du roi or English Imperial foot. This is why when we're doing research for Ares, we *always* rely on metric measurements... and ALWAYS go to the more reliable ThreeDecks first.

Also, do remember that the sculpt is specifically Bahama as-taken (which is really a 64-gun hull that's been up-gunned and slightly enlarged in rebuild), and Temeraire is a *very big* interpretation of the 74-gun layout, only exceeded in size by some of the American designs like Independence and Washington before revision into "spar-deckers". Temeraire is 55.87m for "reference design", Bahama is 53.34 while a purpose-built Gautier 74 (most of the SGN112 names) would be in the high-54- to low-55-meter range, San Juan Nepomuceno specifically and many of her sisters running 55.17, so for a "sculpt basis" the difference should be around 2.5mm on main gun deck.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 02-04-2017 at 12:01.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jim, the other thing is that various sources at Wikipedia aren't always consistent about which "foot" they're using between the Spanish Burgos foot, French pied du roi or English Imperial foot. This is why when we're doing research for Ares, we *always* rely on metric measurements... and ALWAYS go to the more reliable ThreeDecks first.

Also, do remember that the sculpt is specifically Bahama as-taken (which is really a 64-gun hull that's been up-gunned and slightly enlarged in rebuild), and Temeraire is a *very big* interpretation of the 74-gun layout, only exceeded in size by some of the American designs like Independence and Washington before revision into "spar-deckers". Temeraire is 55.87m for "reference design", Bahama is 53.34 while a purpose-built Gautier 74 (most of the SGN112 names) would be in the high-54- to low-55-meter range, San Juan Nepomuceno specifically and many of her sisters running 55.17, so for a "sculpt basis" the difference should be around 2.5mm on main gun deck.
    I was aware of the Burgos foot, which should be 278.6mm. I wasn't using Wikipedia, but Todo a babor instead. If my math is right and the measurements on Todo a babor are accurate the Argonauta should be 55.72 meters long? San Francisco de Asis would be 54.71 meters long?

I'd forgotten the Bahama design aspect of these sculpts, which likely changes things significantly. As for actual sculpt differences of around 2.5mm I just measured them both. Main deck of San Francisco from cathead to stern is 48mm. Argonauta from cathead to stern is 56mm.

In any case I'll refrain from muddying the waters anymore as I'm just a rank amateur when it comes to naval history and architecture. That's yours and David's turf.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, main is not the Weather Deck, on SOL's it's the Lower Gun Deck. That may be part of the measurement problem...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jim, main is not the Weather Deck, on SOL's it's the Lower Gun Deck. That may be part of the measurement problem...
    Understood, but I wanted to measure a surface that I'd get better readings on between the two ships (I only have a metal straight edge).
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb