Thread: Looking to throw together a makeshift game

Hybrid View

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dan

Thanks for the advice. Point taken for just choosing one maneuver card at a time, though they quickly got the hang of choosing three cards for WoG. I really have to teach myself to play this weekend, before I teach the kids to play. :) I think some selected scenes from Hornblower or from Master and Commander are in order. :)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by teacherdan View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Point taken for just choosing one maneuver card at a time, though they quickly got the hang of choosing three cards for WoG. I really have to teach myself to play this weekend, before I teach the kids to play. :) I think some selected scenes from Hornblower or from Master and Commander are in order. :)
    I find that the three cards in WoG have a different feel than the one planned-ahead card in SoG. It's kind of weird. Maybe it is because in WoG there is less to think about and less to check each maneuver, even when playing with altitude. Additionally, in a con game when you have limited time, or in your case with the class, pausing each turn to plan can slow the game down, especially with folks that lack a decent level of experience with the game. At least in WoG, once the maneuvers are selected, there are back-to-back moves without planning. Each passing year will see more experienced players than the year before, so it will become easier to run more complex games when the clock is ticking.