Hybrid View

I just recieved this order from Henry
    Name:  20201124_212001.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  Henry Turner order.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  117.3 KB

We ended up substituting a Canada class for the Elizabeth class and he threw in an extra Porcupine class (Pandora) hull. There was a little damage in shipping, a few knocked off lanterns and catheads, but pretty good overall considering the delicate detail on these ships.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 11-25-2020 at 13:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a jolly good deal to me Vol. Can't wait to see what you do with them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We are now only £167 short of our goal chaps, lets get this over the finishing line. Three more £55 pledges would do it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only £122 to go! This is going down to the wire. All we need is a couple more £55 benefactors and I'll donate the last few squid.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I just recieved this order from Henry
    Name:  20201124_212001.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  Henry Turner order.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  117.3 KB

We ended up substituting a Canada class for the Elizabeth class and he threw in an extra Porcupine class (Pandora) hull. There was a little damage in shipping, a few knocked off lanterns and catheads, but pretty good overall considering the delicate detail on these ships.
    Nice haul there Vol. How soon will we see finished ship photos?

I wonder if Henry could be enticed into producing some Great Lakes ships for the War of 1812? His focus on 1/700 scale should work pretty well for the smaller ships don't you think?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Nice haul there Vol. How soon will we see finished ship photos?

I wonder if Henry could be enticed into producing some Great Lakes ships for the War of 1812? His focus on 1/700 scale should work pretty well for the smaller ships don't you think?
    I just asked him Jim, I'll let you know what he says.

As for when to expect photos.....
    Well ever since I developed this allergy to cyanoacrylate super glue, the joy of ship building has diminished somewhat. I have to where an organic vapor respirator that sort of ruins the fun and spontaneity I once enjoyed. I have tried several other glue products without satisfaction. I will get them done, but it may not be quick.Name:  20201125_161445.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  125.4 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just asked him Jim, I'll let you know what he says.

As for when to expect photos.....
    Well ever since I developed this allergy to cyanoacrylate super glue, the joy of ship building has diminished somewhat. I have to where an organic vapor respirator that sort of ruins the fun and spontaneity I once enjoyed. I have tried several other glue products without satisfaction. I will get them done, but it may not be quick.Name:  20201125_161445.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  125.4 KB
    Oh my gosh, Vol!? That's pretty depressing and sounds very similar to what's happened to Rob? I don't suppose there's anyway you can 'outsource' the gluing parts to someone else? I know you create your own masts, but are you soldering them or is gluing involved there too?

Thanks for asking Henry about the Great Lakes ships. It's something that has been brought up here several times in the past.
    –English Proverb

Oh my gosh, Vol!? That's pretty depressing and sounds very similar to what's happened to Rob? I don't suppose there's anyway you can 'outsource' the gluing parts to someone else? I know you create your own masts, but are you soldering them or is gluing involved there too?

Thanks for asking Henry about the Great Lakes ships. It's something that has been brought up here several times in the past.
    Oh yeah, I use glue and thread for the masts, no solder. And I use glue for the ratlines, and the spars, and the sails, and the rigging............

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Really sorry to hear that you have joined my club Vol. The mask is the same as mine, even down to the filters. It is an encomberance and with my failing eyesight, it can also obstruct what I can see sometimes. Those people who moan about Covid masks have not lived in one of ours for any length of time! Even when finished I have to evacuate the room until the fumes dissipate. I have also noticed that the fumes make my eyes sore. I will now think of your work with even greater respect knowing the trial it is to get a part glued to exactitude, even without the handicap of a mask. All we can be thankful for is that it is not paint which causes the allergic reaction.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Oh yeah, I use glue and thread for the masts, no solder. And I use glue for the ratlines, and the spars, and the sails, and the rigging............
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Really sorry to hear that you have joined my club Vol. The mask is the same as mine, even down to the filters. It is an encomberance and with my failing eyesight, it can also obstruct what I can see sometimes. Those people who moan about Covid masks have not lived in one of ours for any length of time! Even when finished I have to evacuate the room until the fumes dissipate. I have also noticed that the fumes make my eyes sore. I will now think of your work with even greater respect knowing the trial it is to get a part glued to exactitude, even without the handicap of a mask. All we can be thankful for is that it is not paint which causes the allergic reaction.

Rob.
    What a bummer for both of you!? My only issue with modeling these days is the cataract surgery that deprived me of getting comfortably close up to the models for detail work. It's just not the same anymore, especially when the implants are for varying focus lengths.

The quality of your work with these handicaps is even more impressive.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I solder the masts, but still have to glue the sails on, and of course any alterations to the structure of the ships.
    Rob.

Jim, here is Henry's answer to your Great Lakes question: (screenshot)
    Name:  Screenshot_20201127-222702_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  103.2 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, here is Henry's answer to your Great Lakes question: (screenshot)
    Name:  Screenshot_20201127-222702_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  103.2 KB
    Thanks Vol. That's most welcome news. It would not surprise me that Henry finds interest in Continental Navy ships to be higher than he might have thought?
    –English Proverb

Thanks Vol. That's most welcome news. It would not surprise me that Henry finds interest in Continental Navy ships to be higher than he might have thought?
    We can hope so Jim. I know my interest in the Continental "Navy" is pretty high! Several of my scratch builds are Continental ships because there just aren't that many being manufactured.