Thread: Ship Stats

Hybrid View

I wouldn't bet everything you see online is accurate. I saw a ship card for HMS Hermione that showed a Burden of 6. Obviously that can't be right. I think some of the samples posed were early development materials, or just examples to show development on the product.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    I wouldn't bet everything you see online is accurate. I saw a ship card for HMS Hermione that showed a Burden of 6. Obviously that can't be right. I think some of the samples posed were early development materials, or just examples to show development on the product.
    Or maybe pre-work on a future release. FNS La Hermione 1777 and HMS Hermione were two completely different ships of completely different design, similar only in both being frigates of roughly similar size (IIRC, the HMS Hermione I saw was a 36 or 38 to the French ship's 32)--I know a few other users and myself have been contributing research and input on Wave Two, and it sounds like there's already a third and possibly a fourth in the various stages of pre-planning, not even considering the War of 1812 expansion.

My bet is each ship in the Starter will have the same basic stats as her singles-pack sisters, with balancing being probably from Britis ships being more robust and point-blank brawlers vs French being more agile, maybe a little faster and better long-range snipers. (Historically, French tactics were "evade, stay outside gun range and dismast" while British tatics were more "close in until you can smell what the opposing captain ate for lunch, then start smashing crew and timbers."

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Or maybe pre-work on a future release. FNS La Hermione 1777 and HMS Hermione were two completely different ships of completely different design, similar only in both being frigates of roughly similar size (IIRC, the HMS Hermione I saw was a 36 or 38 to the French ship's 32."
    You could be correct, however, since the burder is equal to the amount of damage a ship can receive as I understand it, and 74's are a burden of about 5, I wouldn't think any frigate would be a 6. It'll be interesting to see the final product. In various videos you can see some of the ship's cards and most frigates are around a burden of 2. I would expect the lighter frigates to be two, and the heavier frigates to be 3.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    You make a good point and I tried to minimize the risk by only taking from Ares's Website product page for the ships (which is why I don't have stats on the starter set since they aren't listed the same). I assume that is final or very close to final as they have many other sources (KS, FB, gameplay videos etc.) to post prototyping pics. Companies don't usually change their actual product pages until they are set since they don't want that part of their site constantly redacted (at least in my business, which, admittedly, is not games).

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaLazarus View Post
    You make a good point and I tried to minimize the risk by only taking from Ares's Website product page for the ships (which is why I don't have stats on the starter set since they aren't listed the same). I assume that is final or very close to final as they have many other sources (KS, FB, gameplay videos etc.) to post prototyping pics. Companies don't usually change their actual product pages until they are set since they don't want that part of their site constantly redacted (at least in my business, which, admittedly, is not games).
    I'm sure there will be many stat comparisions once the completed product is in gamers hands. It almost appears that "A" might be the least manueverable, and "D" the most. One of the big manueverability factors will not be just the cards, but how far up or down the deck the next planned move may be. With the Victory being 4, thats one less that Commerce de Bordeaux so that seems about right.