Thread: Anyone else think SOG KS Delivery is a fiasco?

Hybrid View

I guess what I am put off by is that Ares knew things were behind schedule so everything should have been pushed back including the street date to maybe FEB-MAR to ensure the KS backers had their product "weeks" in advance as promised. I understand the delays, but I do not understand why they did not push the entire timeline back to include the retail date.

If the response is that it cost too much to warehouse it they had that problem to begin with when they made the promise with the original plan of a JULY/AUG delivery date if they planned to produce it all at once. If true this tells me they never intended to give us the rewards significantly in advance of the retailers.

As for my friend, yes he did pledge quite a bit at the Admiral level. In hind sight probably not a good move, but he has had great luck selling other Ares products and believed in SOG. This being our first kickstarter we took Ares at their word that KS backers would have product up to 8 weeks in advance of retailers. Now by not delivering and making the street date so close they have taken a major incentive away from him that caused him commit to the KS at such a high level in the first place.

You are correct to the average gamer who bought in for personal use the street date really makes no big difference other than bragging rights to have the game first. For the KS retailers though I think it is a significant issue.

This was my first KS as well as his and we will both be much wiser in the future.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post
    I guess what I am put off by is that Ares knew things were behind schedule so everything should have been pushed back including the street date to maybe FEB-MAR to ensure the KS backers had their product "weeks" in advance as promised. I understand the delays, but I do not understand why they did not push the entire timeline back to include the retail date.

If the response is that it cost too much to warehouse it they had that problem to begin with when they made the promise with the original plan of a JULY/AUG delivery date if they planned to produce it all at once. If true this tells me they never intended to give us the rewards significantly in advance of the retailers.
    I'm sure part of this is a compounding issue. Ares truly expected the game to be on the street by Sept or Oct and had budgeted for that. Delay the game by 4.5 month and they are now very much out of their planned budget (keep in minded they had to pay large portions of the costs up front to the manufactures). So I can see them trying to get the retail stock in the pipeline as soon as possible to that everyone had it ready to go on the street date. Is that 100% except able, no. But if it came down to them having to chose that over not starting production on another product/project, or even not being able to pay some bills... I now which one I'd tell them to pick.

I just find it hard to get to upset about things which I have no insight into the real reasons why of it. I think one of the largest issues is that a very large portion of the backers for this project had never backed a KS before and did not know what to expect. Same thing for Ares as the creator.

As for my friend, yes he did pledge quite a bit at the Admiral level. In hind sight probably not a good move, but he has had great luck selling other Ares products and believed in SOG. This being our first kickstarter we took Ares at their word that KS backers would have product up to 8 weeks in advance of retailers. Now by not delivering and making the street date so close they have taken a major incentive away from him that caused him commit to the KS at such a high level in the first place.
    Just wondering where you got the 8 weeks number? I can't seem to find it on the KS page.

You are correct to the average gamer who bought in for personal use the street date really makes no big difference other than bragging rights to have the game first. For the KS retailers though I think it is a significant issue.
    It can be for retailers, just depends on how/why the backed it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Just wondering where you got the 8 weeks number? I can't seem to find it on the KS page.
    I was coming up with up to 8 weeks based on a late July/AUG delivery date and a SEPT/OCT retail date that has been previously discussed at length early on. I looked and could not find the exact time either on the KS page, not sure if content has been editied or it was in one of the many updates, but I specifically recall that it would be "weeks" instead of days.

Yes, I fully understand that the delays are costing Ares money as well and obviously they need to pay the bills. If this is the hand they are forced based on the course of events so be it. We do not know all the inner working s and can only speculate.

I would certainly hope they are considering some sort of compensation for the admiral backers who IMO are beig hurt the most by the time shift...not sure what they should be, but maybe some additional product or something???? IMO some sort of tangible offer should be made as compensation for them not delivering to the KS retailers on time and rushing the street date. Just my opinion though.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Aaron,

You should tell your friend that he should be getting his Admiral level pretty soon. I talked with Ares and when they found out that those had not gone out yet, told the warehose to make them a priority. Mine is set to arrive on Friday here in Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bart

Aaron,

You should tell your friend that he should be getting his Admiral level pretty soon. I talked with Ares and when they found out that those had not gone out yet, told the warehose to make them a priority. Mine is set to arrive on Friday here in Colorado.
    Which I guess means mine being at Leiutenant level is pushed even further down the list.
    Oh well - Admirals should have gotten theirs first anyway.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivner View Post
    Which I guess means mine being at Leiutenant level is pushed even further down the list.
    Oh well - Admirals should have gotten theirs first anyway.
    Sorry Bart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Aaron,

I am sure he will be happy to receive them either way. Still negates the benefit he was aiming for of getting them before the street date as he will be lucky to have them by that time. He has been in contact with Ares back and forth and they just do not seem to get that. As I understand it some of their responses were truly lacking in customer service especially considering how much he invested in the project. I am sure at this point they are truly overwhelmed with all the complaints and getting a bit burnt out.