Thread: The Santissima Trinidad Build

Hybrid View

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Dave, that's really impressive!! I have used Alumilite several times in the past and really like their products. If you don't mind explaining, how do you create the latex box so you can cast an entire hull, deck, etc? I've been able to cast hulls, but not the entire ship. PM on the way as well. Thanks!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Dave, that's really impressive!! I have used Alumilite several times in the past and really like their products. If you don't mind explaining, how do you create the latex box so you can cast an entire hull, deck, etc? I've been able to cast hulls, but not the entire ship. PM on the way as well. Thanks!
    So here's my quick and dirty mold box process, I glue the plug onto a rectangle of foam board just a bit bigger than the plug, here is the ST on the foam base:

Name:  20180329_085849.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  93.2 KB

Use a craft glue to attach the plug to the base. Here is a quick sketch of the box, all bits from 1/4 foam board. Cut a bottom from the foam board 3/8" to 1/2"larger on each side than the plug base. Then I cut a long strip of foam board around 1 1/2" wide x twice the length and width of the bottom. Mark the x and Y dimensions on the strip as shown, then carefully cut 1/2 way through the one side of the strip, allowing the strip to be bent into a side wall unit that fits the base. Tape the corners with masking tape and glue the wall unit to the base with white glue. Add a bead of glue on the inside corner of the box and let it dry. Center the plug base on the bottom of the box and when the glue dries you are ready to pour.

Name:  20180330_225318.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  120.7 KB

If there is interest I can do a complete step by step mold making process thread. I have been resin molding for several years now and have tackled some one to five piece molds, it is a fun challenge to design the process for each particular model, ships just seem to be the simplest! Cheers! Dave

Oh yes, for molds like these I use the more rubbery mold material they call it "High Strength Latex" it comes as a white base with a clear hardener that turns it pink when mixed. It is super flexible and allows for deep molds with significant over hangs and such. That is how i can mold a complete hull in one open sided mold.

Name:  20180330_115901.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  87.8 KB

I can get 40-50 uses from the mold before it gets tired and loses its flexibility . . . if the aerodrome ever get back up to speed you can find many of my planes on the "metal and resin" thread - search the key words "pour me . . ." there are some of my challenges like the Me 323 six engine monster . . . enjoy!
    Last edited by Clipper1701; 03-31-2018 at 00:19.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Excellent Dave.
    If you do a complete "How to" for producing the ship I will post it in the thread for this. Otherwise I will, with your permission, use what you have here cobbled together to get an idea of the process for would be intrepid ship builders.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.