Thread: Smoke as an Obstruction

Hybrid View

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I take it you are playing with house rules here.
    As far as I am aware, you fire every other turn, so game wise the smoke has dissipated before you are ready to fire again, more so if firing double shot.
    If you are using the optional of continuous fire, this is at half strength so for me this simulates the firing through smoke quickly.
    But of course the beauty of any game isyou can tweak the rules to suit as required.
    Have fun Michael

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I take it you are playing with house rules here.
    As far as I am aware, you fire every other turn, so game wise the smoke has dissipated before you are ready to fire again, more so if firing double shot.
    If you are using the optional of continuous fire, this is at half strength so for me this simulates the firing through smoke quickly.
    But of course the beauty of any game isyou can tweak the rules to suit as required.
    Have fun Michael
    You are correct in pointing out that normally a ship fires every other turn, and yes, I DO use optional Continuous Fire rule when it's merited. I also do use House Rules dealing with Carronades and Fire as they Bear. All of these can (and often do) leave a close-knit trail of smoke. Regardless, a ship which has not yet fired following one that has may run into the remnants of the firing ship's cloud and suffers the consequences of so doing. The new firing ship adds to the existing cloud and so on, exacerbating the problem for any further following ships. Sort of like the troops at the end of a marching column "eating the dust" of the leading troops.

I've toyed with moving the clouds with the wind with the firing ships, keeping it localized, which almost works hand-in-hand with your argument for the alternating move/firing sequence, but some ships move faster than others ... and ALL ships can turn. Annnnnd I'm way too lazy to figure out how far the wind would move under varying wind conditions (did that with WoG to replicate what I continually read about how winds affected the progress of fragile, slow flying aircraft and created a monster ... though it worked).

Thanks for your comment and keeping me "on course".