Thread: The 2019 Scenarios and AAR's

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks for the insight, I'm tending to find that if I'm upwind then the AI ship will usually turn downwind, which then means it is always running away. That might be the best course of action in a naval game but has so far been a bit predictable.
    Looking at your set up I see you were upwind and so the turn away from you is what I've come to expect. Obviously it's too early for me to make any firm assertions and I need to give it more of a go. I've printed FredMiracle's ? sheets and will have a look at them as well.

I'd thought these 3 cards were ones that you were shuffling into a bigger deck, my mistake, they are a good idea to incorporate in solo games.

Painting the room walls sounds grand, look forward to seeing that.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    The actual turn should be defined by the dice throw. There should be the odd option to turn the other way depending on circumstances. If the scenario demands a certain line of action and the ship is disobeying you may use the upwind line with the dice roll you threw instead and you should get a better outcome. This is another of the using the I in AI possibilities. remember the AI is for throwing in the unexpected, and not written in stone. Getting an enjoyable game for yourself is the essential.We are not policing every move your Captains make. For me the story at the end is more important than the action. If it is entertaining so much the better. remember that the spirit of the game is better than the letter of the rules. Even Andrea has said that.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thanks for the insight, I'm tending to find that if I'm upwind then the AI ship will usually turn downwind, which then means it is always running away. That might be the best course of action in a naval game but has so far been a bit predictable.
    Looking at your set up I see you were upwind and so the turn away from you is what I've come to expect. Obviously it's too early for me to make any firm assertions and I need to give it more of a go. I've printed FredMiracle's ? sheets and will have a look at them as well.

I'd thought these 3 cards were ones that you were shuffling into a bigger deck, my mistake, they are a good idea to incorporate in solo games.

Painting the room walls sounds grand, look forward to seeing that.
    Cheers
    John, if you want to experiment further, I am working my way through developing an AI based on Richard's, but with more wind awareness. It's not bulletproof yet, but if you're curious, I could send you a copy. All I request is feedback.

(This offer is open for anyone else, too)

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    John, if you want to experiment further, I am working my way through developing an AI based on Richard's, but with more wind awareness. It's not bulletproof yet, but if you're curious, I could send you a copy. All I request is feedback.

(This offer is open for anyone else, too)
    Hi Dobbs, this sounds interesting, I've sent you a PM, thanks for the offer.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds interesting Dobbs.
    Please copy me in.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sounds interesting Dobbs.
    Please copy me in.
    Rob.

Consider yourself copied, sir!

I wholeheartedly agree about your encouragement for other folks to post AAR's. I have one that I'm hoping to post shortly of me playing my AI. No terrain, no chits, no ship charts, but it's interesting watching how the maneuvering plays out.