Thread: Ships boats

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I have the same issue with 1/700 scale boats. I used some Warlord Games boats and made a two part hard mold and use play-doh to make more

Name:  20201204_170826.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  9.4 KB
    Hi Vol years ago when I was really poor I made some Greek galleys, impressing a lead one into plasticine and casting plaster of paris into it. They were only about 1" long and the oar bank was quite fragile but as they were waterline models it worked fine.
    Are you saying that you pushed play-doh into your hard mould? Did you harden it in someway. I remember back in the 70's there was talk of hardening plasticine with bannana oil, but I never discovered how you got the oil out of the bannana!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Vol years ago when I was really poor I made some Greek galleys, impressing a lead one into plasticine and casting plaster of paris into it. They were only about 1" long and the oar bank was quite fragile but as they were waterline models it worked fine.
    Are you saying that you pushed play-doh into your hard mould? Did you harden it in someway. I remember back in the 70's there was talk of hardening plasticine with bannana oil, but I never discovered how you got the oil out of the bannana!
    Right John, Play Doh hardens in air after a few hours and can be filed, sanded and painted. I just lay a bit over each impression on one side of the mold, then press the opposite mold side down, using tooth picks in the guide holes. Squeeze hard, release then trim a bit and do it again. Remove one side and let them dry hard. Pop them out with a needle or straight pin. I make the molds wit Sculpy. It's fast, just 8 minutes in the toaster oven and it is ready to go. I have used this method to make more cannon, furled sails, etc.
    Name:  20201204_170713.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  18.9 KB