Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you, gentlemen, for the rep and compliments!

Andrew, the way I define warping is the crew handling a vessel with lines, often using pilings as the fixed point. This is more a harbour thing, so I never really considered house rules for it.. as an aside, Suzanne and I warp customers' boats fairly regularly. Using leverage and knowledge of the wind and tide can often be faster than using the engine in a marina.

Kedging is using the anchor as a fixed point for moving the boat, with no spring. I have used it to become ungrounded, but in shallow water (less than say 100 feet deep) it can also be used as a way to move when becalmed. I don't think it has a place tactically in SoG because it's slow relative to turn, but I may have to consider to include it in my Chase Rules. A funny story here; in a sailboat race on a dark windless night, I was able to move into 1st place by anchoring while still having the sails set. As the current swept my opponent past me, he called over and said, "where are you finding this wind!?" I waited until he was well astern before I told him I was anchored.

Rob, I'll get back to you on the gunboats. Their handling under oars is probably very similar to the Demologos under steam and it's about time I finish that project. I've got two great battles planned.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking forward to seeing your battles Dobbs.
    I like your annecdote about the sail boat race. Reminds me about the time I held an Iron gate to a walled garden single handed against a whole Regiment of Highlanders.
    Standing inside the archway and appearing to brace my Halberd against the gate when the mob of Scots threw themselves against it. They just kept slinging in more and more bodies for a good five minutes until an Officer fought his way to the front to see what was going on and delaying them from flanking our army. He swiftly realized that I could not possibly be holding back the mass of men, but his hand through the bars and unlatched the gate.
    Needless to say, I was long gone as the irrate highlanders surged through the open gate, only to be met wth a counter charge from my own Regiment who had now reinforced our flank and were not tired by pushing at a locked gate. I must have felt much as you did after your opponent realized he had been tricked.
    The only time we have used the kedge option was when Captain Kiwi sailed between two sandbanks and saw the shore looming with no room to come about. He had to anchor, and kedge back out from between the sand bar before he could get underway. Raffer J Larwood please note that this is an alternative to driving ashore at every chance you get!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.