Thread: SoG Game Tracker App (windows)

Threaded View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I've spent most of the time with family so I've made very little progress in the realm of graphics. However, I researched cannon muzzle velocity and cannon ball trajectories. I found two good resources for modeling both the muzzle velocity and the drag during flight.

http://www.arc.id.au/CannonBallistics.html

http://www.arc.id.au/CannonballDrag.html

Some snippets from the pages.
    Muzzle Velocity Comparisions to measured versus calculated (not bad)
    Name:  muzzleVel.PNG
Views: 684
Size:  16.5 KB

And Flight results for a 24lbr.
    Name:  cannonballcurve2.PNG
Views: 726
Size:  14.0 KB

The model takes into account the coeff of drag changes due to cannon ball diameter, mach number, and reynolds number ranges.
    Name:  cannonballcurve.PNG
Views: 740
Size:  103.1 KB
    Its noteworthy to see that the coeff of drag various from 1 down to .1 during the flight. The high drag is due to the shock waves associated with super sonic speeds and the low coeff of drag comes in when the turbulent region separates from the cannon ball surface. Pretty neat stuff.

Its all explained on the page above with a sample code that I am going to use for my cannons in the game.

I will most likely precalculate all of the muzzle velocities for cannon before combat begins (for different power and shot weight (double, etc)) so it will not take up any processor time.

I will probably make an array of the coeff of drag for the various cannon ball sizes at speed ranges to save cpu cycles (no reason to calculate over and over the same results).

I hope to get back to it tomorrow morning if the baby stops waking up during my prime programming time (4am).

-Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-29-2018 at 17:40.